Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

rocks at 2200 yards with 338 lapua

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: rocks at 2200 yards with 338 lapua

-The reason I mentioned the iPod is because I use an iPod with Shooter installed. All my ballistics come from that unit while in the field. I choose this method as I can use the iPod to take pictures and vid and record my DOPE. All of my info is that unit. Anyway... Is it better than a camera? For your price point, I would say no way. It is better than many cameras in the $300 range , with a good scope. I assume you have a high end spotter like a Leica or Swarovski for spotting shots, if so, see if you can use your iphone or borrow an iPod to see if you like it with the scope. You will know right away. Again, my guess is the camera will be better with a good zoom doubler etc.

-Your progams are fine, no need to change.

- G7 is the BC measurement I was refering to, not G7 from Gunwerks. G7 BC is what many LR shooters use in place of G1 as it tends to be more accurate. I would spend some time playing with the G7 BC of the upper end LR bullets, even custom brands. The 300 VLD is another 50 points better than the OTM I think.

As far as the numbers you are giving I didn't ask other questions to clarify if the Barometeric pressure was corrected or Absolute. If corrected I would have to have the altitude too. I just ran the numbers as corrected BP and left all the numbers the same with variation being the Bullet design and BC.

Perhaps some of the highly skilled and experienced crew will be chiming in as well.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Silver Member

The pressure i run is absolute, the corrected was NEVER right on my weather ap as opposed to KESTEL 4500nv. I was always off with corrected but when using the kestel i was within 1/2 moa at ELR. The spotting scope i have is 15x45x60 mildot bushnell. The range finder we used today is 20x60x80 leupold mark 4. I really liked it. So i quess i want to spend 2k on a good KOWA, SWARO,LEICA,or LEUPOLD. Then i would like to spend 3k on a camera if thats what i need to make videos. So does anyone have any suggestion for a 3k camera capable of making videos to putt on here? it must be good for 2000 yard ELR rock shooting. Thanks for the help, headed out to the hunting club to try to get the daughter a deer this year with her 260.>chris
Old 12-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

On the camera. It seems most high end cams do not have a lot of zoom. In order to get the zoom you can run a doubler or 2x lense on the camera. This is where the camera begins to really shine over models like mine. Mine has a lot of zoom but lacks the quality of the untis in this link. All my stuff is light weight and I pack it with me on the mountain. Being in Idaho, when I say mountain, I am refering to nose bleed and devils steep. I have packed pro cams to shoot video for client based hunts but I won't pack one when I am hunting.

All High-Definition Camcorders : $2500 - $2999.99 | $3000 and Up $3000 and Up - Best Buy

Couple of my vids. Not horrible but not great either. It does a fine job for the closer ranges and if mirage is low. Light has a lot to do with it too. The better the camera the better it can handle the light variations. Mine needs good light if it is going to be a long way and high zoom. I have picked out impacts in the shade, in the dirt, no plash at 1660. It takes a bit of time to find them though. ha ha

Old 12-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

BrentM, whatever brand of camera and double you are using looks GOOD to me!! 1310 yards with 6.5x284, the rocks we are shooting make a little bigger puff of smoke than that even at 2000 yards with 338 lapua. Maybe because their flat? The link from best buy 1 like the sony for 2699. Could i get and and a doubler for under 3k? When i get home from hunting club next wednesday i may go to best buy and get 1. We have a best buy about 40 miles from us. Thanks for the info.> chris
Old 12-27-2013, 10:02 AM
Silver Member

Congrats for you. Bad news for the rocks. Sounds like a good time. The bergers are definetly higher bc than sierras. Shawn Carlock tell me the Berger does well in transonic range and, they have few problems getting them to group at subsonic ranges. I personally think the denser air in the south-southeast exaggerate the "flaws" of bullets more than the bullets in thin air. I have shot a few 300 Bergers out of my edge to 1760. Some of the bullets hit sideways. I plan on retesting the mile shot very soon. Good luck and keep us posted of any results at 2000+ with the bergers. Thanks
Old 12-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Silver Member

Thanks just got back from hunting club, rained out. The 180 hybrid 7mm also does vert well arfter it drops to below subsonic. I have been reading on my laptop while sitting in the blind last few days about the 300 gr berger otm. I have some coming after the first of the year i will try to get some loaded up and tomorrow im going to BEST BUY to look at cameras. Thanks for all the replies guys! May be mid - january i can load up some videos of 2000 yard plus ELR rock busting<chris
Old 01-02-2014, 03:24 PM
Silver Member

I would give some 300g Berger OTMs a try. I shoot a 338 Edge at the same velocity as your load and 2200 yards only requires 94 MOA correction. The Bergers seem to survive transonic change much better than SMKs. Good shooting though, fun stuff isn't it!