Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Pushing it out, 1930 yards!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

Re: Pushing it out, 1930 yards!

Great shooting !!! I've had great LUCK at 1023 going to push 1350 1400 this weekend if weather permits !
Old 04-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

I learned a little about air flow during this shoot that I had never really put together till going out this far. The shoot had us shooting through a saddle about mid way down range, I know this would compress the air and speed it up and the wind reading showed this and I usually add 50% to my wind value when in this kind of spot but when the bullet landed I was of by 4+MOA and had my buddy over correct which rarely happens, usually I under estimate.
After he made a correction and was on target I was watching the mirage and I figured out what got me, we were shooting over the compressed fast air, I could see the mirage accelerating at the saddle but higher up there was a distinct air flow that was slower but more stable, when we focused on the mirage in this upper air flow vs the lower our windage tightened up.

We ended up having 62.5 moa up and 13.5 moa for a 17mph wind from 8 o'clock, I wish I could have picked up the trace as it would have been a doozie!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

Looks like it worked, the deer in the pic is doin' the backstroke

Very nice group, especially considering having to range 3 times for yardage. Then make the propper corrections. Ya, I'd say you bout got er dialed. Very impressive shootin budy!
Interesting point on the compressed wind vs non compressed above it. This is exactly the kind of info, & posts that belong here! Thank you for noting your observations, as well as for the cool thread! Great pics too.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 05-02-2012, 02:41 AM
User

Very well done considering how you ranged your target and @ distances like that each shoots wind call is huge. I guess it's time for a vectronics. I would love to see your google earth view of your postion and your targets, time of day, condition, ect. What did shooter tell you for spin drift and what was the TOF for that shot, what cant device are you using, what scope, what retical, what shooting position ext? And by the way Great shooting!!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Gold Member

good post and good shooting.
as for the trace, its difficult following it all the way to the target at those distances.
its normally lost at the high point of the trajectory. at that point its best to switch focus to the target and watch for the actual hit.
its not uncommon for inexperienced spotters to lose the trace and claim the shot went way high. so be aware and insist on knowing if the actual hit was seen or if their opinion was based on where they lost the trace.
wind can also impact our ability to follow it. as does position of the spotter and quality of the optics used.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Silver Member

Nice shooting best I have done is 13" from dead center on the bull at 1826 hope to stretch it out there again once Grit has his way with my lapua... took me three shots to walk it in, but then I had a couple nice shots right in there before the weather kicked up and shut us down..heavy wind and snow don't affect much ha ha

Bigngreen nice shooting you wouldn't happen to work for re miller in dillon?

Jordan
Old 05-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertakid View Post
Nice shooting best I have done is 13" from dead center on the bull at 1826 hope to stretch it out there again once Grit has his way with my lapua... took me three shots to walk it in, but then I had a couple nice shots right in there before the weather kicked up and shut us down..heavy wind and snow don't affect much ha ha

Bigngreen nice shooting you wouldn't happen to work for re miller in dillon?

Jordan
PM coming.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"