Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Practical LR practice for big game?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 08:11 AM
Gold Member

Re: Practical LR practice for big game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop401 View Post
I am doing something. very similar.
I took a 308 for this type of practice the vast majority of the time. A paper target with 14" circle was set at a range according to the conditions, meaning the upper end and up to 100 yards beyond anticipated weather calls. It's usually windy here which dictated the shooting ranges. Interesting note, at the end of the season approximately 3/4 of my shots hit inside the 14" circle and of those that hit 3/4 were on the outside 1/3 of the target. Now taking a large magnum to the field with better ballistics these results in comparison should be.........
Old 06-14-2013, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member

I know this is LR. But it sounds like this will be a special hunt for you,I dont know your abilities ,but dont forget your short and med. range. I have walked up on a lot of bulls and offhand them,off knee, or one of my most used braced against a tree trunk. When hiking I usually stop by tree as I look ahead and scan,tree is handy and solid. I also walk threw woods during season and practice shoulder weapon and aim at different things like stump,rock.During season I also aim at game at long range on a empty chamber. As A x ski racer I use anti fog product on scope,one accidental breath can ruin shot opportunity.I also made a small alum. saddle for my sportman tripod,it is mere ounces,and with this I have a nice back support with me for shooting off taller in field things like stumps root wads. I field practice like this and as mentioned earlier,most of my practice is where I hunt or just like it.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
I know this is LR. But it sounds like this will be a special hunt for you,I dont know your abilities ,but dont forget your short and med. range. I have walked up on a lot of bulls and offhand them,off knee, or one of my most used braced against a tree trunk. When hiking I usually stop by tree as I look ahead and scan,tree is handy and solid. I also walk threw woods during season and practice shoulder weapon and aim at different things like stump,rock.During season I also aim at game at long range on a empty chamber. As A x ski racer I use anti fog product on scope,one accidental breath can ruin shot opportunity.I also made a small alum. saddle for my sportman tripod,it is mere ounces,and with this I have a nice back support with me for shooting off taller in field things like stumps root wads. I field practice like this and as mentioned earlier,most of my practice is where I hunt or just like it.
You are correct on it being a special hunt, it is the only hunt I make each year other than possibl a whitetail from the pasture for meat. I shoot year round for enjoyment. I take a long range rig (338rum) and a walking rig(300win), weather and hunting pressure dictate stitch I hunt with as well as game location. I shoot my 300 @ beer cans off hand and any sort improvised rest . as for as hunting goes it may be indark timber watching a tight bottle neck and tomorrow calm winds may allow for glassing and ridge shooting.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
I took a 308 for this type of practice the vast majority of the time. A paper target with 14" circle was set at a range according to the conditions, meaning the upper end and up to 100 yards beyond anticipated weather calls. It's usually windy here which dictated the shooting ranges. Interesting note, at the end of the season approximately 3/4 of my shots hit inside the 14" circle and of those that hit 3/4 were on the outside 1/3 of the target. Now taking a large magnum to the field with better ballistics these results in comparison should be.........
I probly should be shooting my 260 for practice but the 338 is a blast to launch. Here is a pic of the target I use it is affectionately known as the porta-gong. It is a 20" round 1/4" ar500 plate light enough to tote around with the ring of steel.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Practical LR practice for big game?-target-001.jpg  
Old 06-17-2013, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member

Don't they have those big ass rat like critters (the name escapes me, starts with an N IIRC) (Nubia?) tearing up things along the coast down there, see if you can get on them. If you can it's in the field, and your shooting your hunting rifle. I shoot Pdogs here with the 7mag every chance I get, which is great for me since their in similar areas that most of my hunting is done.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 06-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
Don't they have those big ass rat like critters (the name escapes me, starts with an N IIRC) (Nubia?) tearing up things along the coast down there, see if you can get on them. If you can it's in the field, and your shooting your hunting rifle. I shoot Pdogs here with the 7mag every chance I get, which is great for me since their in similar areas that most of my hunting is done.
Nutria Rats! Seeing one that is at a long enough distance and not over a body of water is the challenge. But I will of the right opportunity arrises .