Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Practical LR practice for big game?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

Practical LR practice for big game?

Well fellas it is just over 4 months til the Colorado 2nd rifle elk season opens , since coming up short this past season I have saw fit to have a 338 rum built tried 3 different stocks for it, purchased a NF nxs scope and mounts , seeing the time consumed in calculating drop, I saw fit to get a br2 range finder . Developed a 300 grain berger load that is validated and thus far under favorable conditions has been scary accurate (90% +)on a 20" gong out to 1150 yds. firing cold bore over 5 shooting sessons .

So , after spending more money than I like to think about , ripping my hair out trying to get loading components and reading every bit of info I could find on precision shooting, hand loading and rifle tuning. I have one more subject to tackle .

Besides shooting from a berm at our make shift range that is on a hill that is only 20' above the field we shoot accross I have no place to practice on angles . The BR2 compensates for almost every thing but is there a way to practice for angle shots when you live in the flat land ?

I take all of my shots cold bore and usually from slightly different positions and ranges to practice with the RF and scope operation and shot precedure .

What else can I do in addition to what I am doing to better prepare for a possible 1K shot on a elk this season?????

I just recieved 250 300 gr bergers and am ready let the cannon ball roar !!!!!

I am just looking for new ways to prepare , squirrel season just closed so picking squirrels out of the trees with the 17 is over with till fall so I am back to shooting over flat ground!!

Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Practical LR practice for big game?

The farther you shoot the more common up hill shots become in the west. Any practice is good practice. If you can't find a place to shoot up hill, then I would dry fire from the prone position at what ever there is to put a precise hold on. Telephone poles, towers ect. Getting use to what it takes as far as bipod height, squaring behind the rifle, bag location, recoil pad location and pressure, bipod preload, cheek weld, and above all muscle memory for this position will help when it comes time to settle in on that elk.

Jeff
Old 06-12-2013, 04:56 AM
Silver Member

Broz, I think I will do just that ! After posting I thought that riding around in the local national forrest for potential shot setups (dry fire )may be a option.

Going through the motion though not as good shooting will be a bebefit!!!

Thank's Mike
Old 06-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Bronze Member

Broz thanks for the great simple advice. I have been pondering the same questions while waiting for Krieger to deliver my new .300 win mag barrel. I also really appreciate your load and bullet advice that is sprinkled throughout the forum. There are plenty of places to "kill" rocks at LR and extreme LR here in AZ. But I will use your tips and practice the dry fire routines, with a snap cap, from the hilltop at the rear of my lot here in the suburbs. I can do this unseen by the neighbors and won't be disturbing anything but quail and rattlesnakes.
Thanks.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop401 View Post
What else can I do in addition to what I am doing to better prepare for a possible 1K shot on a elk this season?????
Any help is appreciated.
Some of the most productive practice I conduct the last two months before rifle season takes about two to three hours and only requires one to two shots including travel time to and from home.

Set up a target and practice the same as hunting. Loading the truck as if hunting. Take gear out of the truck and pack the gear as if hunting (to include hunting buddies if you can bribe them to come along). Spot and select a shooting position as if hunting. Place the rifle in a shooting position in tall grass or slope as if hunting.....so on and so on to include using the range finder, computer, weather station, compass etc. Take that LR shot as if hunting and don't be rushed. Double check everything. Evaluate POI to POA and mentally troubleshoot where mistakes were made. Then if time allows, switch the target in a completely different direction and start all over again. It's amazing how much time this takes for only one or two shots but this type of practice is rewarding in it's own way.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
Some of the most productive practice I conduct the last two months before rifle season takes about two to three hours and only requires one to two shots including travel time to and from home.

Set up a target and practice the same as hunting. Loading the truck as if hunting. Take gear out of the truck and pack the gear as if hunting (to include hunting buddies if you can bribe them to come along). Spot and select a shooting position as if hunting. Place the rifle in a shooting position in tall grass or slope as if hunting.....so on and so on to include using the range finder, computer, weather station, compass etc. Take that LR shot as if hunting and don't be rushed. Double check everything. Evaluate POI to POA and mentally troubleshoot where mistakes were made. Then if time allows, switch the target in a completely different direction and start all over again. It's amazing how much time this takes for only one or two shots but this type of practice is rewarding in it's own way.
+1. Practice shooting across canyons and getting a feel for what the wind will be doing out in the middle of the canyon. I have found that generally it is double what you feel from your position. I look at how far I missed by and then do reverse math to see what the conditions really were. It teaches you alot.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post

I am doing something. very similar. Usually I will set a target that I can get a shot off at 6-1200 yds. this will ear up 3-4 hrs. for 4 -6 coldbore shots from different. angles and rest positions. my biggest. problem is finding a place to shoot with up and down hill angles . I am not sure but I believe it may be frowned upon if I were caught climbing our local. water tower. with a 338