Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

NEED To watch this guy!!! Tiborasaurusrex

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 02:33 PM
Bronze Member

Re: NEED To watch this guy!!! Tiborasaurusrex

Arbo, Don't rain on my parade!, lol..Same thoughts comming to mind. I have .22LR, Remmy 700/270, Savage 06 and my .338 wm for which I bought about 10yrs. ago never shot, no sites and still in box, lol. Arbo, plus if brass goes dry in one cal. then switch to other. I thought you could load a charge for the .338 that's good on sod poodles and very little recoil ? I would like my .338 setup for 1.5k, or make my Savage a .338 Rum? Or the .270 a? I am so mixed up reading all the ELR hunts makes me little head spin. Plus going through divorce trying to keep my 6yr. son that she abandoned us 3 yrs. ago and trying to get him, she has 2 more via an ex-con (murder) in another state. Now to take me down more I was bit by pider Saturday and the venom is a hemotoxin. I am on anti-venom now. Hooked up to oxygen, on massive pain killers. Sorry for rattle, not the place for it. Back to task, needing custom brass would not be smart in the long run when all hell breaks loose. So maybe I do new thread eh?
>
Thanks, JASTECH
Old 05-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbogb06 View Post
I have contemplated this as well. I have thought to keep my .338 lapua and use it as my one and only gun. Positives to this are more exposure to shooting with it in all different conditions, more trigger time, no need to remember/make other ballistic charts, one round to reload for, less reloading and other equipment. The cons however are also lenghty, cost to reload, if something happens and it needs to go to the gunsmith I have nothing else, overkill for certain game, recoil. To me I like to have a back up gun just in case I need a new barrel, something happens to the scope or gun itself. Also, if one wants to shoot from 0-1500 yards from prairie dogs to elk you would need a large magnum rifle to fit this entire spectrum.
IMO bad idea. If for nothing else from a cost perspective. I am building up a 10/22 with a hogue stock and ER shaw barrel for a cheap practice gun. I will build a 7mm-08 savage for my wife and I will use a .308 loaded to 208 gr Amax for me to practice with a bolt gun. That way I don't go broke with my .338 changing barrels every year. I honestly shoot around 5k bullets out of all my weapons a year and when I finish college that will go up because I will start in 3 gun comps. I am on a first name basis with the guys at NMI Tru tec I now have all my rifle salt bath nitrited I am a huge believer.

Rex is awesome I love his videos. I cant wait till the one on how to make a ballistic chart comes out. I have the Night Force PC program and shooter on my android. I calculate with both and split the difference and am usually dead on. So I will likely do the same for making my charts.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 05-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Silver Member

Just one rifle?? 7mm rem mag? Half the recoil of the lapua and does everything out to a mile. Half the price to shoot or less. No special actions needed. Great in the wind.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Bronze Member

188Mule, So maybe the cci 200 primers will be availab
le soon out here. If somebody would split the 5k that would be fine too as 2500 would last me a bit. My Browning had the BOSS installed at the factory, this harmonic adjustment should tighten the groups. Can the .338 be down loaded enough with lightest grain bullet for sod poodles to yotes? Should be minimum recoil too eh?
Old 05-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbogb06 View Post
I have contemplated this as well. I have thought to keep my .338 lapua and use it as my one and only gun. Positives to this are more exposure to shooting with it in all different conditions, more trigger time, no need to remember/make other ballistic charts, one round to reload for, less reloading and other equipment. The cons however are also lenghty, cost to reload, if something happens and it needs to go to the gunsmith I have nothing else, overkill for certain game, recoil. To me I like to have a back up gun just in case I need a new barrel, something happens to the scope or gun itself. Also, if one wants to shoot from 0-1500 yards from prairie dogs to elk you would need a large magnum rifle to fit this entire spectrum.
A few years ago I would have objected to that approach because of pure reloading cost.
Then my buddy sold ALL of his rifles, but a .22 and build himself a 12 pound 338Lapua. The moneys from his other rifles went into components and he intends to shoot the barrel off the rifle THIS year.

That said he has the financial resources to feed the Lapua.
If you don't, you need to be honest with yourself and keep a fast twist 223 or 308Win around for practice.
I have more LR guns than you can shake a stick at and my preferences are my 300Win and my fast twist 223...If you ever meet a guy like me ( more guns than brains) ask him what he prefers and you might be surprised what he tells you.

The bottom line of shooting is fun...make sure you keep it that way!
Old 05-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASTECH View Post
188Mule, So maybe the cci 200 primers will be availab
le soon out here. If somebody would split the 5k that would be fine too as 2500 would last me a bit. My Browning had the BOSS installed at the factory, this harmonic adjustment should tighten the groups. Can the .338 be down loaded enough with lightest grain bullet for sod poodles to yotes? Should be minimum recoil too eh?
I found a few boxes at one of the shops out here. I hope things start getting back to normal. I really need the br2's. I don't think I'd split or do any shipping, Thanks anyway. I haven't loaded the .338 but I'm sure it could be loaded down, although it may be better to shoot the same load all the time to get to know it. Havn't used the boss but have heard the work.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Silver Member

In reply to a question asked here, What he uses to measure his ammo temp??? He uses an Infrared Thermometer its a cheaper version of these, I think he said it cost about 40/50 dollars

Your first choice for an Infrared Thermometer or Pyrometer | Fluke

John