Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

My New Defensive Edge LRKM

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: My New Defensive Edge LRKM

Hornady brass is similar to Norma in strength. I am also not sure who makes it or if they make it in house but its on the same lines as RUM, Norma and the like. Good brass to develop loads with.

I am in no way saying your running dangerous pressures, sorry if I implied that, I was just curious if Shawn had done any pressure testing like this to get an idea where his wildcat runs pressure wise is all.

Sorry if I offended, was just curious. Will just read your results from now on to stop jacking the post. Again, if I offended I apologize. Was not my intent.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-29-2013, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

No offense at all Kirby and I welcome any post you have, any time. The things you and Shawn do are what keeps my blood lively, I like big long range calibers.
What I was trying to show with my explanation was a full report to demonstrate to you what I do and that I was confident in how I do it. I do not claim to be the rifle builder you and Shawn are, so when one of you ask me a question I will do my best to offer what I know in an attempt to prove my methods.

I like to joke at times so I was just kidding around with the joking part. If it offended I also apologize.

You have probably answered for me why Shawn did the load charge and first chronograph testing with the Hornaday brass. He was looking for early signs of pressure in softer brass. A lower amperage fuse if you will. I wondered about that but hadn't asked.

In Shawn's notes with the rifle he supplied me with the load work up in 1 gr increments.

At 112 gr of N-570 he noted the first sign of a faint ejector mark he could see using a magnifying glass. This charge averaged in Hornaday brass a velocity of 3192 with a high of 3198.

I ran my loads to 112 also, then backed off to 111 gr. and moved the bullet closer to the lands. With the bullet closer the velocity came back up and like I said I am running 3198 for and average MV, and in my app for drops. The highest MV's I have recorded were 3205, 3207, 3209 during load development.

Jeff

Last edited by Broz; 08-29-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby, I sure didn't see any offense on your part and I hope you don't think I was "taking sides". I just wanted to confirm that there were zero indications of excess pressure. What you bring up about the Lapua brass maybe "hiding" excess pressure seems like a valid point and your technique of using Norma brass for pressure testing sounds good to me. But looking at Jeff's brass, the primers, there was not a hint of over pressure and the bolt was very smooth. I guess that's what we go by if we don't have pressure equipment.

Anyway, when you speak/type, I always listen

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I am sure that is what Shawn was doing with the Hornady brass.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

Jeff, what is the first animal you will be hunting for with the LRKM? When does the season open? Is antelope on the list?

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 09-08-2013, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Jeff, what is the first animal you will be hunting for with the LRKM? When does the season open? Is antelope on the list?
Yes, Antelope, in OCT. I feel it is the perfect antelope rifle at any distance. Poor lil suckers...

Jeff
Old 09-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Where will you be hunting speed goats this fall?

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com