Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

My New Defensive Edge LRKM

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 05:56 AM
Silver Member

Re: My New Defensive Edge LRKM

Very jealous. That is an awesome rig. Did you choose woodland camo and black?
Old 06-20-2013, 05:59 AM
Platinum Member

Jeff,

That's just awesome! Now you have to change that 1000 yards gopher you tube video that you and Joe did a few years ago.

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:15 AM
Gold Member

great looking rig. I look forward to seeing your load development and at distance results.

Single Feed - I like it. Every new build I have built in the last few years has been a single feed, except one.

65 MOA rail and 125-130 in teh scope - gotta love the available elevation.

I don't have an Atlas, but I do have 2 LRA bipods that you can test (one is the F-Class and the other the tactical) if you come through Vegas some time. They need an mini rail (Atlas rail), and can't anchor to a standard Harris bipod post. Unbelieveably stable. Adds a bit of weight (probably 2X the weight of a Harris), so not as mobile as a Harris for a hunt where you are on the move.

Jeffvn
Old 06-20-2013, 08:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post
Can you tell us about your scope/ring/rail set up. How much elevation travel do those NF ATACR scopes have. That's some handy dial up!
The scope is the Nightforce ATACR in MOA and has their MOAR second focal plane reticle. The rings are the new Nightforce wide 3 screw ultra light set. The rail is Defensive Edge design for their LRKM and was just offered in 65 moa to match up with the new ATACR for Extreme Long Range work. Right now I have about 6.5 moa below the 100 yard zero, and 126.5 moa up left. That's a total of 133 moa in the scope. I like to stay away from the last click or two on each end, so lets say it has 131 useable moa of elevation. These ATACR's are advertised to have 120, but every one I have been around or tested had closer to 130. That is a nice surprise when looking for all you can get.

Jeff
Old 06-20-2013, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member

JeffVN, that's a nice offer and would love to shoot with you guys in Vegas some time. If we ever make the trip we keep talking about I will be sure to get a hold of you.

I weighed the rifle on my bow pull weight scale and it come in at about 15 3/4 lbs with scope and Harris bipod. I want to keep it under 16 in case I want to go hunt Idaho so this will come into play in my bipod decision. I have heard great reviews from some very trusted shooters on the Atlas. But I have heard a complaint also about the "not as solid" mount. I just want to see for myself before I spend. Right now my gun fund is looking pretty beat up. So I need to make due for a little while.

Jeff
Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 AM
Gold Member

Jeff,

Finally arrived and looks great. Did you mount your scope with the 6 bolt rings? I have the same rings waiting for my 338 and was wondering how to check for sufficient surface grip. I know many times it's not necessary to lap NF rings but I always check to ensure there is at least 70% surface grip on the bottom rings. Lapping compound isn't needed to check with a bar, only if not sufficient will I use the compound. So how do you check 34mm rings without a 34mm bar?

Thanks
Old 06-20-2013, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
Jeff,

Finally arrived and looks great. Did you mount your scope with the 6 bolt rings? I have the same rings waiting for my 338 and was wondering how to check for sufficient surface grip. I know many times it's not necessary to lap NF rings but I always check to ensure there is at least 70% surface grip on the bottom rings. Lapping compound isn't needed to check with a bar, only if not sufficient will I use the compound. So how do you check 34mm rings without a 34mm bar?

Thanks
Shawn mounted the scope up for the initial testing. I assume he has a 34mm bar or if not they could make one in minutes. I don't have one but may have one made to go with my 30mm set of points and bar. I will say though I have yet to see a problem with NF rings if the rail is installed and bedded true.

I have not used any of these new wider 3 screw rings yet. This is my first set. But I understand they have a radial relief grove. That will increase surface pressure on the remaining surfaces. They are nice looking rings for sure.

Jeff