Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

My New Defensive Edge LRKM

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: My New Defensive Edge LRKM

I tamped in paper towel with a small dowel rod.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
What are you using for a plug in your fireformed cases?

Pretty much any fast handgun powder will work great for the cornmeal forming method, some just need a bit more powder, some a bit less depending on their burn rate so you may just want to add 1/2 grain at a time until you get good case forming. You never want to see any ejector rings while forming and bolt life should always be easy of course.

The faster handgun powders seem to slam the corn meal into the shoulder area with more authority which seems to sharpen up the shoulder a bit better. It all works though!!
Old 08-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I can usually spot my own shots. But the 2400 yrd shots last week my son was there spotting for me too. Depending on the type of rock sometimes a small dust cloud can be hard to see at 2K plus. But this rock was in the open and we had one miss and it was plain as day as dry as it is here.

Jeff
I generally have trouble spotting my own shots at that distance because I'm shooting in flatter terrain with more vegetation. But I was just wondering how far you could actually spot your on shots through the scope 20-25 power in prime conditions on prime shooting terrain, since I ussaly shoot solo. I used to have access to a shooting place where I could spot my own shots through the scope at 2400 yards decently that was probaly still not at as ideal as where you shoot. But just got me curious?

Sorry to interrupt a good discussion between more intelegent minds, let it continue!
Old 08-14-2013, 10:07 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
I tamped in paper towel with a small dowel rod.

Jeff
That will do it!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-17-2013, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby,
So your saying that by mixing old and new, or even once fired brass for that matter. The result could be poor long range accuracy?
Old 08-18-2013, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

Took the LRKM / 338 Terminator +P to the Townsend shoot last Saturday. I set up cold bore and put one shot in the 7" black circle at 1013 yards.

Then during the day I let 3 or 4 other shooter send a few to 1013. All hitting their targets.

All day I was eyeing a spot up in the elk horn mountains west of the range. Seems there was an exposed lime rock slide with a white rock placed where missed could be spotted. The 11" tall 14" wide rock was right there tempting me. I ranged it at 2272 yards and set up for the shot. Several other shooters gathered their spotters and got on the rock. First shot landed just right of the rock within 1/2 moa of a hit. Second shot hit the rock, 3rd went over and 4th was another hit. 2 out of 4 on basket ball sized target at 2272 was a good enough for me. I am very pleased with the Defensive Edge LRKM.

Jeff

Last edited by Broz; 08-18-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Took the LRKM / 338 Terminator +P to the Townsend shoot last Saturday. I set up cold bore and put one shot in the 7" back circle at 1013 yards.

Then during the day I let 3 or 4 other shooter send a few to 1013. All hitting their targets.

All day I was eyeing a spot up in the elk horn mountains west of the range. Seems there was an exposed lime rock slide with a white rock placed where missed could be spotted. The 11" tall 14" wide rock was right there tempting me. I ranged it at 2272 yards and set up for the shot. Several other shooters gathered their spotters and got on the rock. First shot landed just right of the rock within 1/2 moa of a hit. Second shot hit the rock, 3rd went over and 4th was another hit. 2 out of 4 on basket ball sized target at 2272 was a good enough for me. I am very pleased with the Defensive Edge LRKM.

Jeff
Fantastic Shooting Jeff
Old 08-18-2013, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Took the LRKM / 338 Terminator +P to the Townsend shoot last Saturday. I set up cold bore and put one shot in the 7" black circle at 1013 yards.

Jeff
Dang . . . . . . Double Dang!!!!

I really shudda been there!

Could have returned home knowing the dope on my big girl out to that range.

One doesn't find that much talent and experience in one spot all that often.

I think ELR is coming into its own. Now that there are some to play with the drive is worth it. As long as a fella keeps coolant in the radiator.