Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

My New Defensive Edge LRKM

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: My New Defensive Edge LRKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA48 View Post
Broz, shooting past 2000 yards do you have a spotter, or are you spotting your own shots from the scope?
I can usually spot my own shots. But the 2400 yrd shots last week my son was there spotting for me too. Depending on the type of rock sometimes a small dust cloud can be hard to see at 2K plus. But this rock was in the open and we had one miss and it was plain as day as dry as it is here.

Jeff
Old 08-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby,

Thanks for the thoughtful and informative reply. A lot of good info there for folks who are reading these threads and maybe looking at a project.

I knew there were variances in bores but I thought they were tenths of thou vs up to 2 thou. That's a big variance. And I know trying to build a rifle for just one bullet is a big gamble and I can see where a smith would not like to be put into that situation. would you see the same variances from the same barrel maker like Bartlien for instance? It seems the gain twists are the way to go with these long high BC bullets.

Watching Greg's videos has peaked my interest in something like a 375 CheyTac. It should be very interesting what happens in the ELR world in coming months and years.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Jeff,

I'm fairly certain that with the umph that you're impacting those rocks with that the national earthquake center in Colorado ought to be able to report your POIs within an inch or so.

Google 'em and see if they'll send you a report.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:32 PM
Silver Member

Still enjoying this thread ! JEFF you and KIRBY have had some good info maybe some of it will help BIGBUCK when he gets his 338 EDGE Barrel in & on he asked me what bullet's you were shooting so he already bought him some 300gr. otm's to try KEEP UP THE POST GUY'S IT'S GREAT.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:52 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I can usually spot my own shots. But the 2400 yrd shots last week my son was there spotting for me too. Depending on the type of rock sometimes a small dust cloud can be hard to see at 2K plus. But this rock was in the open and we had one miss and it was plain as day as dry as it is here.

Jeff
Lighting conditions and wind conditions also can dramatically help or hurt spotting impacts. Can be tricky in some conditions, the big 338s and larger really help kick up enough of an impact dust cloud to detect at long range...... SOMETIMES!!!

There are the occasional, WHERE THE HELL DID THAT ONE GO??? moments!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
There are the occasional, WHERE THE HELL DID THAT ONE GO??? moments!!!
That usually is said right before I see the hit when the 4 or 5 second flight time seemed to be 5 minutes...

Jeff
Old 08-13-2013, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Jeff,

I'm fairly certain that with the umph that you're impacting those rocks with that the national earthquake center in Colorado ought to be able to report your POIs within an inch or so.

Google 'em and see if they'll send you a report.
LOL, I don't know about that. Remember I have shot your 375, I see the difference in impact. But this 338 does hit harder than any other 338 I have owned.

Jeff