Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

My New Defensive Edge LRKM

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 10:37 PM
Silver Member

Re: My New Defensive Edge LRKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Greg That is a cool round. But when I go 375 I will probably go with the big cased offering.

Thanks!
Jeff
I would too Jeff.

I just suggested it because the 375 Terminator will go in your LRKM

The 375 CT imp is the way to go
Old 08-08-2013, 10:57 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Well hell, might as well throw a teaser out there. If things go as planned with my 300 and 338 Raptor projects, there will very likely be a 375 Raptor as well. In comparision with the 338 Lapua Improved chamberings, using Retumbo filled to the base of the neck, the Lapua Improved will hold 109.0 gr, the Raptor will hold 134 gr and the 338 AM will hold 158 gr.

basically the Raptor case will split the difference between the Improved Lapua and the Improved Cheytac and still function in a Lapua class receiver but will need to be a single shot.

That said, this is all dreams at this point. As long as it has taken to get this Raptor project off the ground, who knows how long it will be before the 300 and 338 Raptors are main stream and ready to start the next adventure. Many times in this project, over the past 10 months I have about said, screw it, the 338 Lapua Improved is plenty!!!

Your excitement about your new rifle is well justified, we are all excited to see you stretch her out!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Well hell, might as well throw a teaser out there. If things go as planned with my 300 and 338 Raptor projects, there will very likely be a 375 Raptor as well. In comparision with the 338 Lapua Improved chamberings, using Retumbo filled to the base of the neck, the Lapua Improved will hold 109.0 gr, the Raptor will hold 134 gr and the 338 AM will hold 158 gr.

basically the Raptor case will split the difference between the Improved Lapua and the Improved Cheytac and still function in a Lapua class receiver but will need to be a single shot.

That said, this is all dreams at this point. As long as it has taken to get this Raptor project off the ground, who knows how long it will be before the 300 and 338 Raptors are main stream and ready to start the next adventure. Many times in this project, over the past 10 months I have about said, screw it, the 338 Lapua Improved is plenty!!!

Your excitement about your new rifle is well justified, we are all excited to see you stretch her out!!!
Kirby it is fun playing with new things, but it takes plenty of time & money....

I have been playing with a long case about the same capacity as your Raptor, man they go

I have 300, 340 & 380 Terminator as their names, just waiting patiently for others to do their bit.....
Old 08-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Platinum Member

I'm liking this thread!

Puts excitement back in LR.

When the window opened to get the rig of my dreams I'm pleased that I went with the 375 AM over the 338 AM.. No more scheming to go bigger is easier on the brain.

Y'all got me thinking about those solids, big time!

Greg, your suggestion for a projectile in a chey I improved 375 w/ 10 twist would be?

Also, because I'm po, tight and cheap is there a way to get, from the bullet maker, a sample few for tearing?
Old 08-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
Kirby it is fun playing with new things, but it takes plenty of time & money....

I have been playing with a long case about the same capacity as your Raptor, man they go

I have 300, 340 & 380 Terminator as their names, just waiting patiently for others to do their bit.....
It takes as much patients as money when bringing something new to the market!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
I'm liking this thread!

Puts excitement back in LR.

When the window opened to get the rig of my dreams I'm pleased that I went with the 375 AM over the 338 AM.. No more scheming to go bigger is easier on the brain.

Y'all got me thinking about those solids, big time!

Greg, your suggestion for a projectile in a chey I improved 375 w/ 10 twist would be?

Also, because I'm po, tight and cheap is there a way to get, from the bullet maker, a sample few for tearing?
I would try the CEB 350 or the 375,

The 350 SMKs are pretty good but mighty hard & I haven't been able to get much terminal performance data,

The CEB Lazer projectiles should be great for terminal performance, my tipped ones are possibly a little over zealous
Old 08-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I have just never been dramatically impressed with the CE bullets. Nothing really wrong with them but the ones I have tested in 7mm, 30 cal and 338 really left me wondering one major question after I developed loads for them, what am I really gaining here????

The reason I ask that is three fold.

1. Mainly cost. I can get conventional cup jacketed lead core bullets that are more consistant over a wider range of bore diameters and more forgiving in seating depth and load and do so with prices that are 1/3 to 1/2 less then the CE bullets.

2. They can be a real pain in the rear to find that sweet spot in seating depth, in fact a few rifles I have never found it and gave up.

3. Terminal performance. There is no doubt that at closer ranges they do extremely well but at long range, like the TSX, TTSX and LRX bullets from Barnes, they thrive on speed but as range increases, terminal performance can really drop off as with all solid copper or alloy designs, even HP designs.

Now in the 375, they may have some merit simply because of the lack of options out there but for all other calibers, I see them as an option but just can not justify the extreme cost over more conventional bullets which will offer at least as high of a BC, be more forgiving from bore to bore and generally better terminally over a wider range of distances. Just my throughts.

Again, have no problem with these bullets, just do not really see the justification to charge what they do for what you get in most calibers.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com