Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

My New Defensive Edge LRKM

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Silver Member

Re: My New Defensive Edge LRKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Jeffvn, I agree, this rifle is about performance to me. I wanted to go farther. I was hoping to get to 3K with decent repeatability and a degree of accuracy. My PLRF10 will range to 2990 yards. I now feel I have a rifle to get me there. I think I will go ahead and talk to Shawn about getting a second barrel on order and start it now. Then the barrel swap will be a shorter process. I have owned barrel burners before and found that they are not best used as the every day rifle. But with my 6br and 300 win to shoot most often I hope to get along fine with the new 338. I am sure at some point whether it is a year or 3 years I will need a replacement barrel.

Jeff
Has anybody shot out a barrel yet? I know Shawn was hoping for his to make it 1000 rounds. I really want a .338 + P and trying to gauge what I should expect from barrel life.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:35 AM
Silver Member

How are you liking the MOAR reticle after using it for awhile?
Old 07-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archery1973 View Post
Has anybody shot out a barrel yet? I know Shawn was hoping for his to make it 1000 rounds. I really want a .338 + P and trying to gauge what I should expect from barrel life.
No not that I know of. I am sure that the Terminator will have a shorter barrel life to some degree over the Edge. It stands to reason more velocity will equal less life. How much remains to be seen. I know Shawn tested the 338 EDGE and sent one out to be shot for a while before he even offered the +P chambering. I think that rifle is still going and has not been re-barreled yet. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

One needs to understand this. There is no free lunch. A 338 sending a 300 gr bullet at 3100 or 3200 fps is a serious long range rifle. These rifles come with many benefits over a 338 sending the same bullet at 2750 or 2800. Just like a performance engine, with horse power comes more frequent maintenance.

I will tell you all this, I am taking great care to keep the barrel cool. But I am running full house loads. I am documenting every shot. One day I will be able to share when I had to re-barrel. Until then I am really liking the less dial up, extended ranges, less dial in for wind, and the very evident energy it delivers to a target.

Jeff
Old 07-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskmtd View Post
How are you liking the MOAR reticle after using it for awhile?
I need to do some more research on this. But I suspect the MOAR's are different thickness in the NXS's and ATACR's I have used. They just look thicker in the NXS. I need to confirm for sure the thicknesses.

To answer your question I am getting along fine with the MOAR in the ATACR, I still would like to see a thinner floating crosshair, but it is working fine for the distances I have been shooting.

Jeff
Old 07-14-2013, 04:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I need to do some more research on this. But I suspect the MOAR's are different thickness in the NXS's and ATACR's I have used. They just look thicker in the NXS. I need to confirm for sure the thicknesses.

To answer your question I am getting along fine with the MOAR in the ATACR, I still would like to see a thinner floating crosshair, but it is working fine for the distances I have been shooting.

Jeff
Amen on the "thinner" crosshair.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

Jeff
I'm with you on that Jeff.

From memory it didn't apear to be any bigger than the Premiers reticle, which is supposed to be 0.1 moa.

I would also prefer a slightly finer centre.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:01 AM
Gold Member

Ya. The moar is thicker than the nxs crosshairs we're used to. Nightforce has heard the complaints and the rumor is they are making a new moar in the thickness of the nxs's.

Broz. How's it shooting so far? What kind of groups are you getting? Is load work up going well, and is it different working with +P?

Thanks for your feedback.