Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Made My longest Poke on an Antelope Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Made My longest Poke on an Antelope Today

I'm very impressed. That's just amazing marksmanship. I am not even close to being that good.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
Jeff, I think I read you're jumping them 40 thou. Is that just what your gun likes or do you have to jump them that far to still get your OAL to cycle thru the magazine? I'm not suggesting 40 thou is a long jump but its more than I typically hear about with Bergers, even the hybrid designs. Just curious.
-.040" was my starting point with this bullet and they shot great there right off the bat. So I went with it and never looked back. The first group was .190" I have room to seat them where ever I want just seen no reason to look further.

Jeff
Old 10-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

Great Job Jeff ! I knew it wouldnt be long and you would have some nice Long range pics up for us ! Tomorrow morning Im heading out to find a nice long range hunting spot . Seeing your thread really fires me up
Good Job again and hopefully we'll see some Long range Elk pics just around the corner from you.......
Old 10-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Good goin'!!!

I have my 12" gong @ 1255 yds behind the house. Will start dinging it after the cattle are moved.

Till then I gotta go to the hills. Taking a newbie there tomorrow to work up his drop chart to at least 1200 yds.

The shooting spot is one of my better ambush spots though only Antlered elk are open and both of us shooting have cow tags. Such is the way my life goes.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Silver Member

Congrats Jeff, that's a heck of a shot!
Old 10-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

some guys just get to have all the fun. Nice shot indeed.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:25 AM
Silver Member

Nice going Jeff
We never get to hunt in flat country like that. Do you ever hear the sound of the hit come back on the flats like that? I shot a hind (doe) at long range yesterday testing the new Burris Eliminator Laserscope III that was standing on top of a little side ridge, with the main face a further 400 yards behind it. She was hit square in the shoulder which would normally produce a good "whack" sound back, but I heard nothing other than the echo of the shot. I presumed not having a steep hillside right behind the animal meant there was nothing to reflect the sound of the hit back. If this was the case then you wouldn't hear the sound of the hit very well on the flats either? What do you think?
Greg