Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

LRKM to almost 3K

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: LRKM to almost 3K

I used the NF exbal program for years. I still have it on a small PDA in fact. But since I got a smart phone a few years back I have been using "shooter" and Bryans Applied Ballistics program. All 3 of these have the option of stepping BC's , but the later two have the G7 options and some others I like. I get the program close, them go shoot actual field drops and log them. Then I adjust several perimeters in the program to match the actual recorded field drops. Then I shoot cold bore shots for final confirmation at many distances in many conditions. As you know this takes time, effort and commitment.

Jeff

ps: as of this year I have been including coriolis as well as spin drift in all my shooting solutions. It makes a difference. I may choose to not use it in a hunt at the closer distances, but it is part of my logged data and confirmed drops at all distances. One more thing. When getting azmuth, I found the compass on my smart phone to lie. I now use a manual compass with degrees.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Thanks guys for all the kind words. I promise to get some video soon. I could film it, but then don't know what to do with it. My son is going to help with that so in time we will have something.

Jeff

The video will be something to see!

I don't get to shoot anything near these distances. There is a 1490yd shot I can take but it's an all day task. To go nearly twice that distance is mind boggling.

Looking forward to the video!

Pete
Old 10-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I used the NF exbal program for years. I still have it on a small PDA in fact. But since I got a smart phone a few years back I have been using "shooter" and Bryans Applied Ballistics program. All 3 of these have the option of stepping BC's , but the later two have the G7 options and some others I like. I get the program close, them go shoot actual field drops and log them. Then I adjust several perimeters in the program to match the actual recorded field drops. Then I shoot cold bore shots for final confirmation at many distances in many conditions. As you know this takes time, effort and commitment.

Jeff

ps: as of this year I have been including coriolis as well as spin drift in all my shooting solutions. It makes a difference. I may choose to not use it in a hunt at the closer distances, but it is part of my logged data and confirmed drops at all distances. One more thing. When getting azmuth, I found the compass on my smart phone to lie. I now use a manual compass with degrees.
Your drop test procedure is pretty much identical to what I do. I have never used coriolis or spin drift in my solutions for shooting inside a mile but may have to start playing with it, especially past a mile.

Thanks for your information. One day we will have to grab Shawn and go shoot together!!! I learned a lot when I hunted with Shawn about reading wind in canyon country. I am a flat land hunter so my winds are strong but usually pretty clean directionally so they are easier to read.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

I would enjoy that. I really like shooting with like minded people.

Jeff
Old 10-09-2013, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Makes my mile goal with the 6.5-284 look ridiculous but this thread is motivational and educational. I have been playing with spin drift but not coriolus.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
Makes my mile goal with the 6.5-284 look ridiculous but this thread is motivational and educational. I have been playing with spin drift but not coriolus.
When you get out there past 1200 it starts to add up fast. Turn off spin drift and run some numbers with a couple different azmuths. Do 360* and 90* I will guess with the flight time of a 6.5 to a mile it will add up.

May not be much, but if a first round hit is desired why not get as close as we can with the app.

Jeff
Old 10-09-2013, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

Jeff, has the velocity data from the Magneto been holding up to those ranges or have you tweaked it a little?

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"