Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

LRKM to almost 3K

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 06:23 AM
Gold Member

Re: LRKM to almost 3K

Very nice! That's one of the biggest things I miss about living out west. Out here I can't find a place to shoot over 200 yds, or even hunt.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 10-08-2013, 07:49 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys for all the kind words. I promise to get some video soon. I could film it, but then don't know what to do with it. My son is going to help with that so in time we will have something.

Jeff
Old 10-08-2013, 08:14 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Stretched my LRKM is 338 Terminator +P out a little today. Condition were less than ideal with a gusting 7:00 wind from 8 to 12 MPH. and pretty bad mirage. But I managed to get 3 out of 4 into a hair over 1 moa at 2971 yards. Took 119 moa. Impact velocity was sub-sonic at 1025 fps, impact energy was 700 lbs, and flight time was 5.217 seconds. It was an "on time departure"

Pretty happy really. first round was exactly 1 moa low, dialed up and it responded accordingly. It is tough to spot hits at that distance, especially if you are counting "one thousand one, one thousand two........." But believe it or not I could see chunks falling off the face of the cliff.

Jeff
Very impressive for sure. What optical set up are you using, scope, rings, and moa in the rail. Reason I ask is because we are having to do some unique tricks to be able to shoot to these ranges with the NF 5.5-22x 50mm scopes because of the vertical adjustment needed and that's using a 40 MOA rail. As you well know, 3200 yards requires a BIT of dial up...... I am going to be getting a set of Ivey rings to solve this problem. I have used these on two different rifles and while I DO NOT believe they are consistant enough to be used as the primary adjustment system for long range shooting, they certainly are solid enough to give the rifle system an extra 100-150 moa of adjustment and then lock them down in place and then use the scopes internal adjustment to cover from 2500 yards and well beyond, well past 3200 yards. Got the Terrapin and love that RF. Next up the Ivey rings and then dramatically upgraded spotter. Hard to think about paying $550 for a set of rings but they sure make it easy to shoot at extreme range.

We have been playing at 3200 yards, not ready to report any results yet. The biggest problem we are having is spotting impacts as you say. I totally agree, it can be a serious pain in the rear to see impacts at these ranges.

We are shooting on relatively bare hill sides but the bullets are landing in dirt so it can be nearly impossible to spot impacts so in the process of really upgrading spotting equipment. Do not have any large rock faces to shoot at in my area, I can see where that would REALLY help.

Anyway, fine shooting as usual!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-08-2013, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member

Kirby, The LRKM has some options for custom rails Shawn builds. Mine has the 65 moa option. The scope is the NF ATACR and I am sure what Shawn had in mind with this rail, they are a perfect match. These scopes are running close to 130 moa so the 65 is perfect and allows me to zero at 100 if I want. But I am zeroed at 200. The rings are the new NF 34mm 6 screw. This scope is great, I have been spotting my own hits at 2500 plus in most cases. It is unbelievable how much the extra 3x brings to the table over the NXS 22X.

I think I have about 126 moa of dialable elevation. That should get me close to 3K for a center reticule hold.

Jeff
Old 10-08-2013, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member

Awesome. Would love to be there and watch all that happen.

I can't get anyone to spot my hits lately at 1500 with my 6.5. The little bullet is not hitting hard enough on the targets I have choosen to shoot. On video I am able to see it sometimes but I have wasted a lot of ammo trying to get proficient and learn that distance. Hard to image 1300 is pretty easy to spot but then 200 yards further, nothing. Doubling that would be tough. NICE WORK.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member

I will offer a little trick I have used before. If you can drive to your target, stop and buy a bag of AG lime. It is a powder and pretty cheap. Spread it out around the target. Gives a nice white puff for your misses. A small rock painted black in the center works well for an aim point and will show hits to view later.

Warning, you will walk away with white boots after spreading it. Might want to take a rake too.

Jeff
Old 10-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for that tip. Sounds like a great spotter training tool as well. Ami struggles with spotting and I am not always able to follow the trace in my Night Force. Perhaps I need to set up the spotting scope differently for her too?

As far as driving to the target area, my issue is that I have been in the back country and usually shooting across draws and access via roads is very limited. I am trying to shoot in normal hunting situations such as, different temps, elevations, wind etc. I am getting my butt kicked for sure. My goal is first round hits at what ever distance I can achieve. Now, knock on wood, I have been doing fine out to 1300 yards and if conditions were OK I would be alright taking that shot. I am hoping to get to 1500 someday, which I beleive the max limit for taking a wolf with this rifle.