Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Longest Sniper Kill "Update"

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Silver Member

Longest Sniper Kill "Update"

I just looked at Wikipedia for the longest sniper kill and it's been updated since the last time I looked. Does anyone know if it's valid. 3,079 yards dated last year.

Undetermined Australian sniper 2012 2,815 m (3,079 yd) Barrett M82A1 .50 BMG (12.7◊99mm NATO) (two rifles) Australia Australian 2nd Commando Regiment War in Afghanistan [5]
Old 01-18-2013, 05:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: Longest Sniper Kill "Update"

yep thats right one heck of a shot.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:52 AM

Accually that will be updated soon, a US Soldier from the 82nd Airborne Division broke that record one hot day in July 2012. In Ghazni province Afghanistan with a Barrett M-107 50cal BMG. I was with him on the OP and ranged it for him with my LLDR at 2,864m it took 5 rounds before he was on target. It was a amazing to watch, cut the guy in-half.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickhedges View Post
Accually that will be updated soon, a US Soldier from the 82nd Airborne Division broke that record one hot day in July 2012. In Ghazni province Afghanistan with a Barrett M-107 50cal BMG. I was with him on the OP and ranged it for him with my LLDR at 2,864m it took 5 rounds before he was on target. It was a amazing to watch, cut the guy in-half.
Both are amazing feats! Especially since the Army says the M107 is a 2.5 moa gun with a max effective range of 600 meters on a soft target and 1830 meters for a hard target. That and even at high altitude the bullet went susonic 2/3 the way to the target.
Sorry brother but I've seen first hand (many times) what a .50 cal round will do to a person, even at 20 meters. It's messy but never seen anybody blown in half. Especially the susonic bullet you were witnessing.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:24 PM

Sorry if I gave the impression it blew a guy in half, I believe I said it cut him in half and buy that I donít mean like in the movies were he got blown in half or cut in half by a sword. He was standing at a right angle to the gun target line and it impacted him in the mid-section cause his upper body to fall first then drag the lower body down.

But if you have seen it many times Iím sure you know better than me. You can say that itís a 2plus MOA gun and show all the ballistics charts you want. But it taking 5 rounds to hit target, and the fact it is record means, it exceeds the standards of common sense and mathematical logic. Thank you I am not asking you to believe it, I am just telling you the facts of what happened.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:36 AM
Gold Member

I once hit a flying water turkey in the head from 200 yards shooting a .22 short cartridge!

ACCIDENTS HAPPEN!!

Personally, as for as that Tango was concerned....I'd have rather dropped an HE round on 'em from a 105MM!!
Old 01-20-2013, 02:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulhern View Post
I once hit a flying water turkey in the head from 200 yards shooting a .22 short cartridge!

ACCIDENTS HAPPEN!!

Personally, as for as that Tango was concerned....I'd have rather dropped an HE round on 'em from a 105MM!!
Amen.