Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Longest shot +1500 yard hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Longest shot +1500 yard hunting?

Augustus, I understand your choice completely. You are 100% entitled to do what feels right for you. But, don't you feel others are entitled to make the decision of what works for them too? Some may choose not to use a bow, some may choose to never take a running shot at even a close distance. Some may take head shots if they feel the odds are in favor. I feel it should be a personal choice and up to the hunter, not what someone else states you should or shouldn't do because of their personal feelings or beliefs.

Jeff
Old 06-19-2012, 11:50 PM
Silver Member

Unfortuneately in life there are critics and opposers everywhere. (as in tree huggers and sorts) In my oppinion it comes down to the maturity of the person and the persons skill level. there are guys on this forum that I have no doubt could kill animals at 0ver 1 mile. I also know there are guys out there that should not shoot over 100 yards. everyone is entitled to their oppinion on this subject but it is just your oppinion. everyone has a different skill level and should be responsible enough to know his or hers limits in any situation given in a hunt. i went out just the other day and shot out to 1893 yards and hit my target 8 out of 8 times. now would i have taken the shot if it was an animal inthe conditions I was given? No- but that is cause conditions were not perfect. yes i was very accurate but it is a rock yote. the wind was gusting up to 14 mph. it was not good hunting conditions but great practice conditions. knowing ones limitations in the field is essential and should be demanded of ourselves at all times.

It is nice to read threads like this with everyone giving their oppinions on these issues and able to do it in a respectful manner. You all have great points on this topic and I respect them.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:12 AM
Silver Member

Broz, I am just sharing my feelings on the subject. This discussion is a testament to the caliber of folks on this site. Even though this is a touchy subject there has been no name calling or disrespectful attacks.

I suspect My views may be in the minority here and it appears the powers that be has decided to let this discussion run a little ways. Thanks for being open to opposing views. I really don't see any real differences here, we all like to shoot things way over yonder. I just happen believe there should be self imposed limits where living things are the targets. Well anyway, I'll get off my soapbox and shut up. Oh, I guess there was a little name calling when I discussed the video of the BMG shooting the Mule Deer. You boys look that one up and tell me if I was out of line.

Here is my final take on the matter, get the best equipment and training possible. Practice way past the distances you intend to hunt, be brutally honest about your limitations and the limitations of your equipment. If a little doubt creeps in just before you break the shot, flip the safety back on and enjoy watching the animal amble on it's way to be hunted another day.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
Here is my final take on the matter, get the best equipment and training possible. Practice way past the distances you intend to hunt, be brutally honest about your limitations and the limitations of your equipment. If a little doubt creeps in just before you break the shot, flip the safety back on and enjoy watching the animal amble on it's way to be hunted another day.

That is good by me Augustus, One of the things Shawn teaches in his class too. I have quoted him before but I will do it again here.

" If I don't feel I will be totally amazed if I miss the shot, I will not take it on an animal" Shawn Carlock

Thanks for the discussion boys. I hope if I come on here one day with a kill at a mile or so you will all know it was not just a "poke and hope" I am not on a mission, but if the shot is there and conditions are right I will take it, as I have and will continue to practice this shot.

Jeff
Old 06-20-2012, 08:19 AM
Sponsor

Well said, I like this a lot better than mentaly setting a limit for everyone, you couldn't have said it any better.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 06-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Carlock View Post

Well said, I like this a lot better than mentaly setting a limit for everyone, you couldn't have said it any better.
I like this as well, I like that Shawn likes it also. I'm a free thinking individual, and prefer to let others define their own limits. Collectively we share limited resources. Those limited resources are becoming more so for a variety of reasons. Cripples and unrecovered animals are a part of the equation used by game departments to decide opportunity. Long range is an easy target for game departments to address the issue and claim they have done something. Idaho has a weight limit etc. on rifles. Back in the early days of LRH being publicized, there was a study of collared elk indicating only about 1/3 of rifle kills were recovered. It also indicated only about 20% of archers recovered. PR wise we were, and are, an easy target. Arguments about what makes a proper elk cartridge continue without resolution as well. I passed on a 300 yard Mt Goat shot-the wind was high enough we shouldn't have been on the mountain. I clothes lined a guide because the wind caught his pack and was pushing him to the edge. Why target just distance? There is an element in our society that hates what we do , and will spin anything, and everything. Nothing but abolishing the sport will satisfy them. However that's not a reason to fall on our own sword. I think we agree more than comes through in this limited medium. Truly respects to all of you.
Quick question Shawn: You're well known, and active at shows, classes, you were recently featured in a local paper. Being as your walking point so to speak, have you had contact with wildlife agencies, and whats their take on LRH?
Old 06-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

I'm reminded of the phrase, "The corollary of freedom is individual responsibility."

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl