Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Longest shot +1500 yard hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Longest shot +1500 yard hunting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
I finally got to fire a Rd at 2055 yds just at dark this evening. The target was a 36in by 36 in steel plate painted red with a 12in white circle. It was pretty hazy and visibility was pretty poor. The plate was sitting in front of a vertical rock wall. I dialed it in and struggled to see the target, I finally got everything set, in focus, and touched it off. I was shooting alone and did not see an impact anywhere.

I started to fire another Rd but light was fading fast so I decided not to waste any more ammo. I drove up to the target to see if I could find where the Rd impacted. There it was at 7 o-clock right in the edge of the white.

I'm beginning to think this 6.5-13 gain twist and the 425 CE is a real deal.
This accelerating twist idea intrigues me.

Faster twist slower bullet, higher pressure. Less twist in the first foot of barrel it would seem would lower pressure and allow for higher velocities because less force is needed to push the bullet but as the bullet travels down the tube and the twist increases since there is still powder burning and gas expansion the pressure would then be more even throughout the length of the barrel.

Interesting concept. We'll see I guess if more mfg's try this on a wider range of calibers in the future.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:52 AM
Silver Member

Great shooting Augustus. Please keep us updated on your progress. I once shot Dave Viers progressive twist 375/408 and it was very accurate.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member

Augustus, Very good shooting. That is awesome. 1/2 moa accuracy at 2000 plus.

Nice going.

Jeff
Old 07-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden
U guys could have an ATF (Achohol, Tobacco, Firearms) party...
Don't trip the chatter alert, it really doesn't take long for the black choppers to show up.....

I'm in if a newb can come along, ill even buy the beer...it would be like the ultimate in long range shootin classes with all you guys there!
Let me know when and where( at least where I can park my 72' of semi) ill bring my 300wsm ( I know I know its a pea shooter in this case but somebody has to shoot the yotes that get too close lol!)
Old 07-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Silver Member

Well it is looking promising but in the grand scheme of things there still has been limited numbers of these shot. I have no idea if the gain twist has anything to do with accuracy, I really believe a conventional 6.5 twist would work.

If the conditions permit I will try to get to 2500 this evening. The wind has been pretty stiff up in the day and dies down just at dark leaving a narrow window for testing. I'm more interested in testing the platform than my wind doping skills which ain't all that good.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
This accelerating twist idea intrigues me.

Faster twist slower bullet, higher pressure. Less twist in the first foot of barrel it would seem would lower pressure and allow for higher velocities because less force is needed to push the bullet but as the bullet travels down the tube and the twist increases since there is still powder burning and gas expansion the pressure would then be more even throughout the length of the barrel.

Interesting concept. We'll see I guess if more mfg's try this on a wider range of calibers in the future.
Gain-twist barrels have been around for a long, long time. They work, but the benefits over regular twist barrels are debatable. Those that prefer them to standard twist barrels are usually shooting lead bullets. Lots of info on gain-twist rifling if you Google it.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Silver Member

The info I am interested in does not exist. My concern is that since the twist rate I am using is fairly extreme, a conventional barrel could shear the drive bands on banded bullets. The CE bullet will probably be more likely to withstand the forces because the shaft of the bullet is somewhat engraved though not to the extent of a jacketed bullet or the Jamison solid.

I am pretty sure a conventional twist this tight has not been tested with banded bullets. A 6.5 twist in 375 is comparable to a 5.5 twist in 338 so there is some serious twisting. One of the reasons for using the gain twist is to reduce the pressure on the bands by spreading these forces out over a longer period of time. There also seems to be some advantage in torque reduction.

I am not even sure if a twist rate this tight is required to stabilize the 425, I would like to see someone fire them from slower twist and see where they start having issues. It may be they will work from an 8 or so. I could tear my rig apart and screw on my 8 twist barrel but it has not impressed me very much with any bullet.