Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Long Range 416?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Gold Member

Re: Long Range 416?

"As far as the 50 BMG not being legal to use in war against human targets...... Where did you get that. There are stories all over hell about US, Canadian and UK snipers using the 50 BMG for long range sniping using specialized single shot precision rifles. If this was not legal, I am pretty sure they would not be able to report on these long range kills on the enemy."

I agree with fifty driver on this one. When I was there we were not even allowed to roll out without a minimum of 2, M2 .50 Cals, and then our EOD team had one barrett with them at all times as well. I do not know about the reasoning behind barrett making a .416, but I always thought the Cheytec based cartridges were an attempt at beating the .338 and .50 in the sniping role. I want a .416 based cartridge now....
Old 08-16-2013, 08:44 AM
Gold Member

As far as the 50 BMG not being legal to use in war against human targets...... Where did you get that. There are stories all over hell about US, Canadian and UK snipers using the 50 BMG for long range sniping using specialized single shot precision rifles. If this was not legal, I am pretty sure they would not be able to report on these long range kills on the enemy.[/QUOTE]

We were officially told the .50 was to be used for vehicles and equipment, not to engage individuals. However, unofficially we were told if an enemy fighter was carrying a weapon, pack, basket of puppies, or anything else then we could "shoot for the gear." If we happened to go through the person while doing so, **** happens. If anyone asks about it, be sure and tell them you were shooting at the equipment. That's Marine logic

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 08-16-2013, 09:18 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
FYI the 416 Barrett case is longer than the 50 Spotter buy approx 0.3"

So not simply a 50 spotter necked down
Yes final production brass is different in length, that is correct. but capacity is very similar and it was the basis for the original development.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-25-2013, 11:16 PM
Bronze Member

Fiftydriver the gun powder salesmen must love you. Go info. Thanks
Old 08-26-2013, 07:49 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
Fiftydriver the gun powder salesmen must love you. Go info. Thanks

Last powder order I placed was for 18, 8 lb kegs of WC860!!! 144 lbs will get me through this year...... Maybe.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com