Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Long Range 416?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Bronze Member

Long Range 416?

I have long been a distant admirer of the 416 Rigby Magnum but have yet to cross the Rubicon. I just have to stick with my pipsqueak 375 H&H for the time being.

Looking at the new Hornady catalog I discovered they have a beautiful, 416, 450 grain BTHP Match projectile and wondered what platform it was developed for???

Do any of you know what the concept was behind this nice looking bullet?

Ooops! I just figured out this must be for the Barrett.

Thanks,
Konrad
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter can not be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

Col. Jeff Cooper
Old 06-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: Long Range 416?

I am building a 416 on a .585 case that will still be able to be carried but not ready yet. Hoping to get out to 2500 yds.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
Looking at the new Hornady catalog I discovered they have a beautiful, 416, 450 grain BTHP Match projectile and wondered what platform it was developed for???

Ooops! I just figured out this must be for the Barrett.

Thanks,
Konrad
The 416 Viersco Magnum is a very close 2nd to the 416 Barrett with out having to deal with a 50caliber class rifle and all that goes with one.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Gold Member

Care to share what 585 case your utilizing? I have one in mind also for a 375 build but finding it is proving to be a challenge.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:25 AM
Gold Member

I'm not trying to start anything, but why would you build a rifle to shoot such a large bullet with "only" a BC of .720? I'd think a good .338 pushing a 300 gr bullet would be better overall. I must be missing something...

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 07-31-2013, 01:00 PM
Bronze Member

I believe Barrett’s concept was to decrease trajectory (as compared to the 50 BMG) and yet retain sufficient projectile weight for use against “hard” targets.

Projectile weights in the 338 caliber class are considerably lighter than those that can be flung from the 416 Barrett shell (i.e. 300 grains for the 338 vs. 450 grains for the 416).
While the BC of the 338 is better (.768 for the Sierra HPBT) the Hornady 416 .728), I believe they are more interested in the terminal performance of the heavier bullet.

Barrett’s proprietary solid bullet is 398 grains with a BC of 1.103 launched at 3,150 fps.
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter can not be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

Col. Jeff Cooper
Old 08-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAoudadKlr View Post
The 416 Viersco Magnum is a very close 2nd to the 416 Barrett with out having to deal with a 50caliber class rifle and all that goes with one.
The 416-408 Cheytac is a very close second to the 416 Barrett. In reality, the Barrett is a very inefficient design, far to much capacity for that bore diameter. Only reason Ronny offered it was to put in California eye after their 50 BMG ban. It as a very fast development, neck down a 50 spotter, fireform and you have a 416 Barrett, that's about the extent of it.

Many wildcats based on the Cheytac will come very close to matching the Barrett and do so MUCH more efficiently and with an easy to get case that is affordable to own a couple hundred of them.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com