Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Long distance target viewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Silver Member

Long distance target viewing?

Anybody have a solution to viewing a target at + 1 mile to 2500 yards? Anybody tried an iPhone using FaceTime at the target?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

Re: Long distance target viewing?

I had an old Sony digital cam that output baseband NTSC video (old style TV signals) on a yellow RCA style jack. I made a couple matching helical antennas wound on PVC pipe per my antenna handbook, stuck in an S-band xmitter and receiver along with a 27 inch Samsung monitor at the firing line and now I have a target cam. Link analysis shows that it should be good to a couple of miles but Iíve only run it out to 600 yards so far. When the snow gets gone Iíll be going longer. It is fun to squeeze off a shot and leisurely look over to watch for the bullet hole to appear not to mention knowing where you are hitting.

An important feature of the target cam is the 20X optical zoom so the camera can be positioned a safe distance away from the target otherwise youíd be needing some steel plate which I donít really want to carry around.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

Thanks interesting approach
Old 03-15-2013, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

www.bullseyecamera.com

For 500 bucks they have a turn key system. All you need is a cheap netbook with wireless.

No muss, no fuss, comes in it's own fitted case with an LIon rechargeable battery pack.

Plus, they are a site sponsor on here......
Old 03-16-2013, 06:48 AM
Gold Member

The bullseye system looks interesting, but the site says it is for use "up to 1,000 yards." The system he wants here is for use at up to 2,500 yards. It would be worth a call to see if they can do one for 2,500 yards and at what price.

My brother set up a system for me that we use routinely at 1,900 yards. I don't know the specifics of the HD camera or transmitter, we use two yaggie directional antenna mounted on inexpensive tripods talking to each other, and an inexpensive DVD player as a monitor. Since I can and do drive to my target point, I put a steel plate over my camera to protect it.

Never hit the steel so far, with probably 300 rounds down range over it. Even so, better safe than sorry.

Jeffvn
Old 03-16-2013, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member

I remember reading about yours on here a while ago. I'm sure it would be worth a call (to Bullseye or an e-mail). Maybe a higher gain transmittal attenna or somesuch. I'm not an electronics person and don't claim to be.

I was just putting an option out there, nothing more.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Silver Member

That's really cool, if they could even get it out to a mile I would be very interested.