Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

The importance of being Solid

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: The importance of being Solid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
My reason would be I practice to hunt. There will be no pad where I hunt. Also cement can actually make the rifle hop a little more. This depends on the stock, rifle weight and shooter form too.

I prefer the ground, I don't use a mat either as I have seen a mat act like a cushon and open groups. Give me the good old dirt and a good rear bag and I am happy.

Jeff
Ditto, although in some conditions a mat is almost essential due to sharp rocks, cactus, stickers etc.

When that's the case, no padding or as little as possible is advisable and always keep the bipod legs off of the mat and in the dirt/rocks where it will be solid.

Eberlestock makes a pretty good mat that I believe is just a simple thin layer of cordura nylon with zero padding which would suffice in most circumstances.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

The standard Red Tac rear bag I have compresses too much in height to the point that I can't get that low to the ground. If it was completely packed full of beads, it'd be about right, I think. Anybody know of a lightweight (backcountry backpack hunting-small and light is good) rear bag that is about 3.5-4" compressed with bead fill?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 08-15-2012, 07:44 PM
PUBLISHER

We sell one in the LRH Store

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 08-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
We sell one in the LRH Store
Thanks, Len. Does that polystyrene compress over time? What has been your experience with that?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 08-18-2012, 02:46 PM
PUBLISHER

Quote:
Does that polystyrene compress over time?
Not that I can see.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
Not that I can see.
Does the polystyrene compress to the point that your sight picture changes when you are in shooting position vs. the rifle just in position on the bag by itself?

Old 08-18-2012, 03:16 PM
PUBLISHER

No, if I understand the question.