Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

The importance of being Solid

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: The importance of being Solid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglet View Post
OK! If you had had the 100's what would they be for?
Well, Roy was so kind as to let BnG and I send some to 1000 with his new rifle. I sent 3 or was it 4?? Anyway knowing what this new rifle set Roy back and the cost of each loaded round, brass wear and throat wear of a rifle of this make up, it was in reference to what I felt I had used up of Roys new baby.

Just goofing off more or less, my sence of humor is hard to follow at times.

But, I do realize what a kind gesture Roy had just made to us.

Jeff
Old 06-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
I can't quite make out which bipod you're using?
The bipod is one of my own design. It has evolved over several years.

The thread is about being solid. This bipod is solid!!

I'm used to shooting in my backyard where the shooting spot is blow sand. Very fine stuff. The shooting mat in the pics is designed for the bipod to rest on 'flap' at the front of the mat. No padding. It works great in the blow sand to get the 'solid' bipod level with the bubble. Simply rake the rifle back and forth twisting toward the high side till she's level.

Broz's range the base is hard dirt covered with lime stone. Really nice. However, raking the bipod over the flap on that base did nothing. Thus I set the bipod directly on the gravel. A couple of rakes back and forth and she was level.

I"m all about this solid theme. Seems to be quite important. I have reduced the number of my unexplainable misses significantly. BTW I do not seem compatible with the springy legged things. Everyone else does just fine. I've tried and tried, tested and tested and the solid rest keeps coming up ahead.

BnG shot several shots commenting that he observed the bullet's flight from trigger brake to target. The 375 base must be big enough, with the sun right to make it observable. I wish I could do that. I can spot each of my shots but can't see the bullet flight. Old is a bummer.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Well, Roy was so kind as to let BnG and I send some to 1000 with his new rifle. I sent 3 or was it 4?? Anyway knowing what this new rifle set Roy back and the cost of each loaded round, brass wear and throat wear of a rifle of this make up, it was in reference to what I felt I had used up of Roys new baby.

Just goofing off more or less, my sence of humor is hard to follow at times.

But, I do realize what a kind gesture Roy had just made to us.

Jeff
Thanks for answering my question. I fully comprehend what you mean.
Roy is a great guy. I do like him but please don't let him know that!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 06-21-2012, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Roy,
I do all right with the Harris, a bit better with the Sinclair F-class, but carrying it hunting isn't feasible. Kind of fickle, Sinclair has "Tactical/Varmint" now that looks like it has possibilities. I'm a menace with tools or I'd try my hand at design. I need to work out stabilizing the back end, that's my biggest weakness right now. I've been reading all the old posts on rear pods, and bags. I see a rear pod from a ctk precision I haven't noticed before, and may have to get out of my system. It's why I don't have hundred dollar bills in my wallet either.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

I've been messing with rear pods also. Final results is that a rear pod that does not have left/right control is a useless as tits on a boar hog.

I've worked out the quick elevation adjustment thing and am solid as a rock but string horizontal big time.

The rear pod need to be something like triangle shaped or at least a wide tracking base, at least 2". I'm thinkin' runners of some sort.

Till then is the eared rear bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
Thanks Roy,
I do all right with the Harris, a bit better with the Sinclair F-class, but carrying it hunting isn't feasible. Kind of fickle, Sinclair has "Tactical/Varmint" now that looks like it has possibilities. I'm a menace with tools or I'd try my hand at design. I need to work out stabilizing the back end, that's my biggest weakness right now. I've been reading all the old posts on rear pods, and bags. I see a rear pod from a ctk precision I haven't noticed before, and may have to get out of my system. It's why I don't have hundred dollar bills in my wallet either.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Silver Member

WOW.... Great stuff guys... everyone needs to read this over and over.

Question.... at a range... why not install cement pads in the ground...?
Old 07-20-2012, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel brothers View Post
Question.... at a range... why not install cement pads in the ground...?
My reason would be I practice to hunt. There will be no pad where I hunt. Also cement can actually make the rifle hop a little more. This depends on the stock, rifle weight and shooter form too.

I prefer the ground, I don't use a mat either as I have seen a mat act like a cushon and open groups. Give me the good old dirt and a good rear bag and I am happy.

Jeff