Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

The importance of being Solid

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Gold Member

Re: The importance of being Solid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I don't muscle my rifle. I let it ride the bags. My left arm is always cradled with my left hand on the rear bag. I use slight pressure to adjust for elevation. If I need very much squeeze I have found it much better to raise the bag somehow. I do not want a bag that is ready to drop in height durring recoil. A bag that needs you hand to make it a lot taller will almost always induce verticle spread.

Jeff
Jeff,
I know you don't do this, but I want your 'VALUED' opinion on my process!!!!!
Tikka T 3-SS Lite - 338WM tupperware - no brake -8lb.....hunting 50 to 800 yds.
At the range (100yd) I shoot off a lead sled type rest and then switch to a back pack on the wooden table for my final hunt tune up, cause I will be shooting off hand-or-freehand and leaning on a tree for support if available (slim chance of backpack shot). No bipod.

Here are the questions:
1. Practice for hunt....Left hand use ….Should I pull down on fore end or just grip it tight when on the bench? Tucking it under like you do will not simulate real hunt conditions for my process.

NOW repeat the same Question if I am working up a load.

2. Working up a load on the bench is all about does Nellie like this load? So, should I fold it under like you , lay it on top of scope, pull down on fore end or just grip it tight. Then graduate back to #1 above for hunt practice.

{I will go 1,001 yds if I have toooooooo LOL}

To quote some famous brothers...“Thank you for your support”
Old 05-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

Thats a tuff question and probably the best answer would be to experiment and see what keeps your accuracy and point of aim best. I very rarely shoot off hand but if I dd the forearm would be resting on my hand with elbo in my ribs. If I was to shoot across a pack it would be letting the forearm rest and not held.

Jeff
Old 05-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Gold Member

Jeff, thanks, that is perZackley what I wanted you to relate. Now what about #2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3-OleMan View Post
2. Working up a load on the bench is all about does Nellie like this load? So, should I fold it under like you , lay it on top of scope, pull down on fore end or just grip it tight. Then graduate back to #1 above for hunt practice.

{I will go 1,001 yds if I have toooooooo LOL}

To quote some famous brothers...“Thank you for your support”
Old 05-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Gold Member

Jeff,
Sorry for asking dumb question. Came back to read and realized that you are going to say the same thing that you Do.

"I don't muscle my rifle. I let it ride the bags. My left arm is always cradled with my left hand on the rear bag".

Right?
Old 05-24-2012, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3-OleMan View Post
Jeff,
Sorry for asking dumb question. Came back to read and realized that you are going to say the same thing that you Do.

"I don't muscle my rifle. I let it ride the bags. My left arm is always cradled with my left hand on the rear bag".

Right?
Thats how I do it. I use form of my hold to be consistant as possible and let the rifle do its thing. Anytime I tri to muscle the rifle I imply bad inconsistant juju.

Jeff
Old 05-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Gold Member

Great topic Jeff, thanks for posting it! We all have a regimen we go through prior to breaking the shot. It's interesting to hear what you and others do. I learned something!!!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

have any of you tried the stoney point 5.5"length x 4.5"hight x 5.375"wide rear bag? how well does it work for longrange shooting? is it hard enough?

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/