Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

The importance of being Solid

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Platinum Member

Re: The importance of being Solid

Great posts!! I'm in desperate need to change my rear bag situation, I thought a larger yet mushy bag would be better for shooting on odd terrain but I've found once you start looking for game at longer ranges I choose my shooting platform first, heck the game don't have a clue I'm on them so I can choose where to shoot from not be locked into a shooting position that dictates an odd set up.

I shoot with a stock pack, and cut out a huge amount of vertical by loosing the center strap so the rifle can still ride the bag under recoil the same from shot to shot.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 04-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

Ahhhhh Rule number 1 or close to it is having a proper rest and set up. If you don't then quite simply you are wasting your time and ammo period end of story. Everyone should read this thread 5 times lol!!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Bronze Member

interesting read.
i have been wondering about trying the 6-9 bipod. as i hardley ever extend over the 9, using my 9-12. and have been thinking lower than 9 might help.
i did fit bipod spikes and i really like them. i try to just let my body weight rest against them. but using the 9 aiming down hill tends to need a fairly high rear bag. i made one using polystyrene balls.(about 5mm size) i want something light for hunting,but it does tend to be a little mushy even packed tight. but do like the rice idea.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Broz: What model of RedTac bag and size are you using? Is it the wedge style bag from RedTac - I have never seen/tried them but have been tempted to try one just from the looks of them.
Mine is a tube type about 8" long and 3 1/2" in diameter.

This is it I believe.

Defensive Edge Products

Jeff
Old 04-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

It really has help shrink my groups this is from sunday almost the same size as saturday morn!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
The importance of being Solid-dba42250.jpg  
Old 04-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla shooter View Post
It really has help shrink my groups this is from sunday almost the same size as saturday morn!
This is what I am talking about. Not only tighter groups , but constantly tighter groups on different outings. It sounds like you are developing a good, repeatable and solid shooting form with consistant anchors. Doing it the same every time and being solid is the key. Once you have " the good Feel" for you hold it will become easy and if something is not right you will feel it is wrong before you brake the trigger.

Darn good shooting my friend.

Jeff
Old 04-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Silver Member

So true I back off if it doesnt feel right , like my grip , if I hold my breathing to long ! The wind was gusting Sunday so I was a little off but is helping !