Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

The importance of being Solid

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: The importance of being Solid

mrb, I use my cheek weld more as a reference point like a bow anchor. Not real firm but the same each time as far as position. Most of my rifles I actually use the corner of my mouth on the roll over of the stock. For me that position give a full clear through the scope and the feel is very repeatable. Kinda like a "kisser button" on a bow string if you have ever used one of those. So, light but firm pressure and the same position each time.

Jeff
Old 10-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
mrb, I use my cheek weld more as a reference point like a bow anchor. Not real firm but the same each time as far as position. Most of my rifles I actually use the corner of my mouth on the roll over of the stock. For me that position give a full clear through the scope and the feel is very repeatable. Kinda like a "kisser button" on a bow string if you have ever used one of those. So, light but firm pressure and the same position each time.

Jeff
Excellent Jeff, thanks. I shoot a ton of archery in the winter so that is a very simple reference for me. Seems like I am doing just that while shooting, just need a little more practice to make it more natural and good muscle memory. Thanks
Old 10-21-2013, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post

Jeff
Jeff, Is this a technique you came up with yourself that works for you? It this something that Shawn teaches?

I have typically found for me that I shoot best LR, with the entire weight of my head resting on the adj. cheekpiece (which is quite a bit! ;) ). That's the only way I've found to relax my head/neck completely resulting in less movement of the reticle. Unless you just barely touch the corner of your mouth to the stock, which it sounds like you do, it seems you'd get movement of the reticle. But doing that, it seems it'd be difficult to hold your head there without moving it, causing your sight picture to change...?

Just trying to understand the different styles and figure out what is best to do.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-21-2013, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
Jeff, Is this a technique you came up with yourself that works for you? It this something that Shawn teaches?.
This is my personal technique I have developed through trial and error over 1000's of rounds at long range. I don't remember Shawn critiquing my form when I attended his class a few years back. Other than when he seen I didn't have a pod lock on my bipod he handed me one of his Harris's to use with a pod lock installed. We were making first round hits over 1500 yards the first day, so I guess he thought we were doing ok.

However I do teach this technique in my long range classes.

No I don't rest the weight of my head on the stock. As mrb mentioned muscle memory and practice is key. It is amazing what muscle memory does. A person that is not use to shooting prone will struggle for a while until they have trained their own muscles to easily get into proper prone position. After that is is simple second nature.

Jeff
Old 10-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Platinum Member

Guys, I feel like joking but I'll try to be a good guy!

I believe that concistancy is the name of the game. I see Broz's method working with no problem... I can also see jmden method working also... The only problem with jmden method would be a lighter head or heavier head which it does not happen over night. So it'd be safe. Broz's method would be a better one for different shooters shooting the same rifle with the possibility of same point of impact.

It's all about being able to do it exaclty the same every single time... that's the secret in mho. and it does take practice.

Good Day!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 10-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

Good point, Eaglet. Plenty to learn...

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglet View Post
It's all about being able to do it exaclty the same every single time... that's the secret in mho. and it does take practice.

No truer words have been spoken here.

Jeff