Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

The importance of being Solid

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: The importance of being Solid

Thanks Broz, that clarifies things perfectly, and also identifies some flaws that will help me out. I usually try to read through a lot of stuff in the ELR forum because the only way to learn is to hear the stuff that the guys who are already doing it are doing. Thanks again.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Gold Member

Broz,
Your method sounds very similar to the method Todd Hodnet uses in the mag pull video long range accuarcy. I pretty much use the same style the only thing my left hand touches is the rear bag. When I started doing this my group consistancy went to an entirely different level.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Bronze Member

this post deserves to be brought back up for a great read
Old 10-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I have found over the years that solid is a must for long range. This is even more so past 1000. It all started while I was in the midwest and was shooting prone off some wet soggy pasture one day. My bipod was getting a little deeper with each shot. My groups were noticably larger that day. Later it showed up again with a horrid group when I rested my rear bag on top of a shooting mat. Removing the mat tighten things up a lot especially in vertical. Since then I have played with this a bit and have found this to be a huge help to me, especially at ELR. I do these things, once prone I take my left hand and grab the bipod legs and scratch them into the dirt to get them on solid ground. I only use a dense rear bag and set up to be low on the target and work the rifle butt down to be as solid as possible. You won't find any sort of mat or padding under my rifle or bags. I want them solid as can be in the dirt. From this point I ever so slightly pre-load the bipod forward just a bit, just enough so I can feel the recoil pad on top my shoulder. Then I check my cheekweld like you would with your anchor point on a bow. I have found that when all is right I can feel it is and becomes a confident feel for me with consistant practice.

Another point along this line is that while attending the Defensive Edge long range class Shawn made it known he is very fond of pod locks. I think this is also to keep things solid durring recoil.

One of my shooting buddies, "Montana Marine" has been using the aid of a monopod on the rear of his stock to stiffen things up. He shared with me at our last long range shoot that it has noticably reduced vertical spread for him.

So, I just wanted to pass this along. Take it or leave it. But for me I can not get things solid enough and the more rock solid the better.

Jeff

This post should be long range shooting doctrine, Jeff's contributions to this sport threw his posts and reviews have deffinatly contributed to my long range shooting more then any other material I've read. If there was a long range hunting hall of fame you have my nomination.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane1 View Post
This post should be long range shooting doctrine, Jeff's contributions to this sport threw his posts and reviews have deffinatly contributed to my long range shooting more then any other material I've read. If there was a long range hunting hall of fame you have my nomination.
Thank you all so much for the kind words. It makes me feel go to think others get some use from my posts. I do appreciate this.

Thank you.

Jeff
Old 10-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member

To add a little update since I started this thread, still today I see often "the importance of being solid".

Venturing out farther with ELR it is really pronounced. "The Soggy Bag Syndrome" as I call it, just will not cut it. I missed a small steel gong (6") the other day. It was at 700 yards. I immediately was thinking something must have been wrong with my rifle. I repositioned the rear bags and put the next 3 close to center mass. The problem was I was so confident from shooting this gong before I got sloppy and was shooting off a "soggy bag" in the rear. Stack them up solid guys, the tighter the better.

Shooting at 1 mile plus often now, and as far as 2971 yards so far with the LRKM. I find it more challenging to get the good feel with the bipod high and the rear bag low for an incline shot. But it never fails, when I get the bags right, the preload and cheek weld feeling good, my hits are confined to a much smaller area.

Jeff
Old 10-20-2013, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

Since reading this thread originally, the pointers I have taken have brought my groups in half. Good stuff here. One thing I could use a little clarification on is cheek weld. Do you guys just rest your cheek firmly on the stock or ligtly touch it? It seems that if I lay my face in too relaxed or firm, I get some side pressure it seems and, and my groups suffer. Just curious just how a good cheek weld should be. I got things solid now, got good trigger control, my trigger hand is good, just need to figure out the cheek weld thing. I did some reading in the basics section but would like to see what some of you guys are doing to have a good solid consistent cheek weld. Seems like probably one of the more important roles in being solid