Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

I need your opinions (I'm new to this site)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Gold Member

Re: I need your opinions (I'm new to this site)

Yep......the 210 is outstanding.

Go for the NF...you will never regret the purchase...gauranteed. I recomend the NSX 5.5-22. 50 or 56 mm objective...which ever suits you. I would definately recomend the NP-R1 reticle. Also...the speed dial and zero stops are AWSOME!!!

Shooter app on the phone.

The best rangefinder you can get. I started with a bushnell..then Licea, then Swaro 1500, and now the vectronix. It was the expensive way to get to the vectonix!!!! If you can't range em, well, you can always watch em in your scope!!

Kestral 3500 or 4500..with blue tooth.

I also add a little something to my scope for general shooting. A person doesn't always have enough time to range and DOPE with the electronix. The drops have been confermed on target. The top is dial-ups to 1500 yards in 25 yard incruments. The middle is windage from 300 yards to 1500 yards in 5MPH incruments to 30 MPH..all in MOA. The bottom is holdovers for the hash marks on the NP-R1 reticle. I figured all of that using the altitude and temps that I usually see. If the 10 day forcast is for way warm or cold temps I change out the dial up chart.

Most important is good load development and practice. Don't be obsessed with speed. Remember...that extra 100 FPS at the muzzle is only..say an extra 50 FPS at xxxx yards. The deer/moose/elk/sheep won't miss it. If you can't hit it, the rest is moot.

Good luck, and have fun!!!

Tod
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
I need your opinions (I'm new to this site)-20120411_075436.jpg  
Old 12-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

You may wish to consider Gunwerks G7 Br2 rangefinder. It has a built in "weather station" and calculates drops for your particular load. Review is here: Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Field Test
If your looking at high end optics then definitely look at Nightforce. Lots of satisfied users. For further comparisons on scopes you might go to Rifle Scopes
Koshkin reviews a lot of scopes and is worth reading his opinion. You might start with one titled high end tactical scopes East vs West. There is then part 2 and 3 on high end tactical scopes. Lots of good info on the "alpha" glass that is out there. Good luck. Bruce
Old 12-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Bronze Member

Very good information here and I appreciate it. I will look at everything recommended.http://www.eurooptic.com/images/prod...binoculars.jpg

I like them so well I think I'll buy two ---NOT

SKU VRF-VECTORIVS
$13,200.00
Qty:

Last edited by Broken arrow; 12-03-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken arrow View Post
Very good information here and I appreciate it. I will look at everything recommended.http://www.eurooptic.com/images/prod...binoculars.jpg

I like them so well I think I'll buy two ---NOT

SKU VRF-VECTORIVS
$13,200.00
Qty:
Not sure if we are on the same page here.....The Vecrtonix Terrapin is around $1850.00 delivered next day air. About twice what I paid for the Swarovski range finder. It may be twice the cost, but is ten times the rangefinder!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
Not sure if we are on the same page here.....The Vecrtonix Terrapin is around $1850.00 delivered next day air. About twice what I paid for the Swarovski range finder. It may be twice the cost, but is ten times the rangefinder!!!
I saw the ones you recommended but naturally had to review the more expensive ones.

$13,200.00, now tell me how many units they think their going to sell at that price.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken arrow View Post
I have brand new 6.5x284 and a 300 Weatherby I'll be practicing with as well but I want to get this 30-378 set up first. I'm really not to worried about replacing the barrel either. Down the road I'll start a project for super long range but this is my starting point. As far as the Oehler chronograph goes, I found one for $344 but want several of those whom know to convince me this is this best option. I don't mind spending money if it's on the best equipment. I just looked at the 230 grain Berger and it's not recommended for my barrel.
Some great advise has been givin you!! If you think throwing $$ at long range will get you where you want to be your pissin in the wind BTDT Rebarreling is a bandaid that will have you backing up! The best money you can spend at this point is with a good class with a good instructor and putting rounds through the smaller rounds.
Long way around the barn but it boils down to there is a whole lot to learn, you didnt learn to run before you walked.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachV View Post
Some great advise has been givin you!! If you think throwing $$ at long range will get you where you want to be your pissin in the wind BTDT Rebarreling is a bandaid that will have you backing up! The best money you can spend at this point is with a good class with a good instructor and putting rounds through the smaller rounds.
Long way around the barn but it boils down to there is a whole lot to learn, you didnt learn to run before you walked.

True...a class would be a great thing. But...all the classes in the world ain't gonna help a man with piss poor equipment...or no equipment at all!! He isn't spending mony willy-nilly..he came here for advice, and looks like he got it.