Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

I need your opinions (I'm new to this site)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 07:46 AM
Bronze Member

I need your opinions (I'm new to this site)

I've been watching the long range TV show and to be honest I'm very intrigued with what I've witnessed. Over the last 20 or so years I've mainly focused on archery hunting but as I get older I'd like to get back to shooting my rifles. I'm very interested in trying to set up a rifle for extreme long range shooting/hunting. I'd like for some input from you guys regarding what I need to do to accomplish my goals. My goals are to shoot 1500+ yards on paper and limit my hunting range to whatever distance (roughly 1200-1250 yards) my setup will allow me to retain at least 1200 ft/lb of energy. I have already did a little research the rifle I plan on using. However, I have not settled in on; scope, range finder, portable atmospheric condition tool (looking at the Brunton Pro), chronograph...

The rifle is a Sako TRG in 30-378 Weatherby with 1:11 twist rifling. I currently have it set up for short range hunting of whitetail. This gun has proven to be an excellent shooter in years past printing near same hole at 200 yards. This rifle has perhaps 80 rounds through it all ready so I believe it is broken in well. I do my own hand loading and have all the equipment needed to load bench rest quality ammunition. My tentative research leads me to 210 grain Berger VLD as the bullet of choice. However, I have not purchased these yet since I want your input. I also am looking at the Night Force 5x22x56 scope but upon reviewing some data on line there appears to be some US Optics and Schmidt and Bender scopes I need to consider? I realize this is much to ponder so

Scope recommendation

Chronograph

Atmospheric condition device

Bullet

Range finder

Anything I've forgotten or overlooked

Last edited by Broken arrow; 12-02-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Bronze Member

Re: I need your opinions (I'm new to this site)

Welcome,

I'm shooting the 210gr Berger in my Weatherby 30/378 and they are ridiculously accurate. I'm also planning on trying the 215gr, and I'm sure Broz will chime in on their effectiveness.

You cannot go wrong with any of those scope options. I'm a huge fan of nightforce, and recommend them highly. Their customer service is fantastic as well.

Get a good rangefinder, and a tool for measuring the atmosphere... Many use the Kestrel. The Shooter app for iPhone is a must. It will allow you to dial up your shots.

Last, get out and practice. It's a lot more difficult once you start stretching out beyond 1000. Verify your bullet drops, and shoot.

--md
Old 12-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
Welcome,

I'm shooting the 210gr Berger in my Weatherby 30/378 and they are ridiculously accurate. I'm also planning on trying the 215gr, and I'm sure Broz will chime in on their effectiveness.

You cannot go wrong with any of those scope options. I'm a huge fan of nightforce, and recommend them highly. Their customer service is fantastic as well.

Get a good rangefinder, and a tool for measuring the atmosphere... Many use the Kestrel. The Shooter app for iPhone is a must. It will allow you to dial up your shots.

Last, get out and practice. It's a lot more difficult once you start stretching out beyond 1000. Verify your bullet drops, and shoot.

--md
Thanks for your input on the subject. I have zero experience beyond 1k yards so I definitely have a learning curve but I'm anxious to get started.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Bronze Member

Alright, let me start slow; any recommendations on a chronograph?
Old 12-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken arrow View Post
Alright, let me start slow; any recommendations on a chronograph?
Oehler if you can afford it

Oehler Research, Inc.--Model 35 Proof Chronograph
Old 12-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Gold Member

I would go with the 230 GR berger. I use it in my 300 ultra. The TRUBLE WITH THE 30-378 OR THE 300 ULTRA IS THE barrel. It will be shot out before your good at 1200-1500yds. Get a 300 win. shoot 215 berger it will last 3 times longer then your Weatherby and you can shot out 1500 yds. Then us your 30-378 for hunting.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new shooter View Post
I would go with the 230 GR berger. I use it in my 300 ultra. The TRUBLE WITH THE 30-378 OR THE 300 ULTRA IS THE barrel. It will be shot out before your good at 1200-1500yds. Get a 300 win. shoot 215 berger it will last 3 times longer then your Weatherby and you can shot out 1500 yds. Then us your 30-378 for hunting.
I have brand new 6.5x284 and a 300 Weatherby I'll be practicing with as well but I want to get this 30-378 set up first. I'm really not to worried about replacing the barrel either. Down the road I'll start a project for super long range but this is my starting point. As far as the Oehler chronograph goes, I found one for $344 but want several of those whom know to convince me this is this best option. I don't mind spending money if it's on the best equipment. I just looked at the 230 grain Berger and it's not recommended for my barrel.