Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

How do you guys figure out the range at 1400+ yards?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 02:31 PM
Silver Member

Re: How do you guys figure out the range at 1400+ yards?

Im not being a smart ***** either. Think about it. Those little p-dogs that are far away don't care about the bang. They care about the zingggg past their head. If you can "see" the wind you can shoot it better. Who makes a good smoke grenade? No BS.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:50 AM

Location: I live in the mid west but soon will be back in the north west where I can shoot at long range again

Do you know how to read the mirage, if not buy a good wind meter and carrie it with you every where. Look at the mirage read the meter, and keep doing it until you know how to tell what the wind speed is by the way the mirage is running. when you can do that the rest is easy. Also at the range see how much drift you get at a given wind speed. After a while you will be able to shoot accurately in a cross wind. Thats what keeps it interesting.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid View Post
Do you know how to read the mirage, if not buy a good wind meter and carrie it with you every where. Look at the mirage read the meter, and keep doing it until you know how to tell what the wind speed is by the way the mirage is running. when you can do that the rest is easy.

Ah, mirage will vary at different distances. Mirage at the target will seldome match the wind at the rifle. Going off focus at the target to read mirage at that distance is easiest with a scope or spotter. Not the naked eye. Are you gving advice for 1000 plus yards?

This is the extreme long range forum, past 1000 yards, might want to read the criteria of this forum.

Thanks.

Jeff
Old 08-01-2012, 03:30 PM

Location: I live in the mid west but soon will be back in the north west where I can shoot at long range again

Sorry I assumed you would use a scope at any distance. However the mirage at the target really doesnt apply much. its the conditions between the target and the shooter,
and if your shooting prone the conditions up close to the shooter dont matter much either
because the wind doesnd blow as hard at ground level as it does at higher elevations so usally its the mid range where the bullet is at its highest elevation that you want to check
the mirage. you also need to know the wind direction to know if its 100% cross or some divison of that. PS just because I dont have a place in Il. to shoot at 1000 + yards does not mean I have no 1000 yard experience I use to shoot at range-22 at fort Lewis in washington state I do have some experience. Shooting is what I live for its fun and interesting. Lets keep fun O.K.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:35 PM

The part about the wind meter is to develop experience at judging wind value . The more experience you have the easier it is.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member

Well ok.. Roll on my friend. I do not wish to debate this with as you have it figured out in your mind. So lets just leave it at that. But your methods are alot different than mine.

Jeff
Old 08-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid View Post
Sorry I assumed you would use a scope at any distance. However the mirage at the target really doesnt apply much. its the conditions between the target and the shooter,
and if your shooting prone the conditions up close to the shooter dont matter much either
because the wind doesnd blow as hard at ground level as it does at higher elevations so usally its the mid range where the bullet is at its highest elevation that you want to check
the mirage. you also need to know the wind direction to know if its 100% cross or some divison of that. PS just because I dont have a place in Il. to shoot at 1000 + yards does not mean I have no 1000 yard experience I use to shoot at range-22 at fort Lewis in washington state I do have some experience. Shooting is what I live for its fun and interesting. Lets keep fun O.K.
Wow.... This is different. "If your shooting prone the conditions up close to the shooter dont matter much either " In my humble opinion all conditions should be taken into account . To get the best results possible . Now Im a newbie at this but Broz ah if you stay around you'll see he has some very sound advice