close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Reply

How Could We Improve the NEW A.T.A.C.R. From Nightforce

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #43  
Unread 01-16-2013, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 8,548
Re: How Could We Improve the NEW A.T.A.C.R. From Nightforce

As I lay prone today waiting for a coyote to hold still or stop. Last range was 1761 yards. With my 5.5x22x56 NXS on 22x and holding the NP-R1 (.062) thick reticle on him. I realized people that would be in favor of a thicker reticle must have never attempted a shot like this. Or even sighted much on anything smaller than a VW bus at a mile. Nor would these type of shooters need 120 MOA. I will be trying a new ATACR, but I fear the MOAR (.140) reticle will cover up everything the extra 20 MOA of elevation and the 3X added power has brought to the table.

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  •   #44  
    Unread 01-16-2013, 06:55 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2012
    Location: ND
    Posts: 2,801
    Re: How Could We Improve the NEW A.T.A.C.R. From Nightforce

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Broz View Post
    As I lay prone today waiting for a coyote to hold still or stop. Last range was 1761 yards. With my 5.5x22x56 NXS on 22x and holding the NP-R1 (.062) thick reticle on him. I realized people that would be in favor of a thicker reticle must have never attempted a shot like this. Or even sighted much on anything smaller than a VW bus at a mile. Nor would these type of shooters need 120 MOA. I will be trying a new ATACR, but I fear the MOAR (.140) reticle will cover up everything the extra 20 MOA of elevation and the 3X added power has brought to the table.

    Jeff
    Did ya get him?
    __________________

    I'm 18
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
    ~George Washington

    "The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
    ~ JE Custom

    Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

    My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755

    Last edited by barnesuser28; 01-16-2013 at 09:21 PM.
    Reply With Quote

      #45  
    Unread 01-16-2013, 09:16 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: IOWA
    Posts: 2,120
    Re: How Could We Improve the NEW A.T.A.C.R. From Nightforce

    I would have been more than happy if they would have just put better glass in my 5.5x22-50mm , changed the illumination so it was adjustable from the parallax knob, and I will continue to use the NP-R1 reticle. Keep the tube diameter at 30 mm as well.
    -Better glass
    -Easier to adjust illumination
    - Slight increase in price due to better glass
    I am not interested in strapping a bigger, heavier scope on my hunting rifle
    Reply With Quote
      #46  
    Unread 01-17-2013, 12:06 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Location: Townsend, Montana.
    Posts: 8,548
    Re: How Could We Improve the NEW A.T.A.C.R. From Nightforce

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
    Did ya get him?
    Didn't take the shot. He would not hold still long enough. At that distance all the stars need to align.

    Jeff
    __________________
    Reply With Quote
      #47  
    Unread 01-17-2013, 01:02 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Spokane, WA
    Posts: 3,790
    Re: How Could We Improve the NEW A.T.A.C.R. From Nightforce

    Good real world example. I'm not to the ELR league, so it gives a bit of perspective on what I did not completely understand before. Thanks
    Reply With Quote
      #48  
    Unread 01-17-2013, 06:57 AM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2012
    Location: Terre Haute In.
    Posts: 693
    Re: How Could We Improve the NEW A.T.A.C.R. From Nightforce

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Broz View Post
    Didn't take the shot. He would not hold still long enough. At that distance all the stars need to align.

    Jeff
    Would they have been aligned had it been a wolf?
    __________________
    Rick

    Reply With Quote
      #49  
    Unread 01-17-2013, 10:13 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Location: Townsend, Montana.
    Posts: 8,548
    Re: How Could We Improve the NEW A.T.A.C.R. From Nightforce

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
    Would they have been aligned had it been a wolf?
    I doubt it on a moving target. You just cant keep ranging and re-dialing fast enough if they don't sit down, or find something to keep them there for a couple minutes. Centering up on a dog for this shot is tough. A moving hit would promote me to dash to town for a lottery ticket.

    Jeff
    __________________
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC