Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Getting Old

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 02:25 AM
Banned

Re: Getting Old

Live and worked on a ranch 5000 plus acres of land in central Idaho saw many animals.
We were feeding 780 head of cattle daily, and would watch the coyotes catch mice and
play while we were working......
I was going to shoot one one day and thought of all the mice that they ate and other pests
put my sights just under his rear tail and pulled the trigger watch him jump spin 360 and
run off ( did not shoot him) that was the last time I shot at a coyote just went back to watching them mouse.
I was in my early thirty's then........Well I guess the story told by a friend "Life doesn't
begin at 40 for those of us that did 60 at 20"....
Still enjoy nature and the many gifts that are there for those who just set still and allow her to be.......
Old 12-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Silver Member

RMilhern: you are not getting old, you have just become a selective hunter who does not believe that you are less of a man if you do not punch your ticket every year. Congratulations!

As a side note here, since the incomprehensible slaughter of the 27 children and adults at Sandy Hook school, we are going to be facing the most insidious threats imaginable to our second amendment rights in the next year or more with all the familiar names leading the charge. At the moment, they are after high capacity magazines and secondarily, all "assault" weapons. But none of us needs to be na´ve enough to believe that it will end there. Wayne La Pierre finally came out of his closet with a televised statement calling for armed guards in schools, but he is not a good public speaker and did, in my opinion as a former speech teacher, a poor job of making his point. Although I agree with putting armed police officers in schools, they should definitely not be the hodge-podge of people he recommended, i.e. retired policeman, retired military, and a host of others. They should be active duty policeman who have been psychologically evaluated to relate to the level of students at the particular school where they will be assigned. Just tossing a police officer into a school without this kind of careful consideration could be disastrous. For example, an officer assigned to an elementary school should be a man or woman who loves small children and will present an image of a loving, caring, nurturing adult that will make small children relate to police officers as surrogate "parents" instead of being afraid of anybody in a uniform, which many small children are. Policeman assigned to high schools need to be friends with the students, but they need to project a no nonsense approach to their duty in the school. I, personally, taught high school for 31 years , loved the job, loved the kids, they loved me, voted me teacher of the year and bought me a very expensive retirement gift. But put me in an elementary school, and I would be insane in a week. I just don't relate well to large groups of little kids. The police officers assigned to schools need to be evaluated just as teachers are and placed where they fit the best so the children will respect and trust them as their friends and protectors.
Also, you will be contacted by the NRA asking for donations to fight the good fight which is most assuredly in our future. I have already donated, as I always do, and I hope all of you will do the same.
I am not sure if this kind of message is appropriate for this forum, and I apologize if I have broken protocol by posting it. I just felt it was something I had to say, and forum editors can remove it if it is not appropriate.
If it remains, thank you all for reading it and I will look forward to any opinions/counter opinions from other members.
Denny Brune, Concrete, WA

One post script: Mr. La Pierre did an excellent job dealing with two hecklers by remaining absolutely quiet while security dealt with them, then continuing his speech without comment about the heckling.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:23 PM

I dont think age has a lot to do with getting old...I think the 22 years I did in the military added 30 years to me at times. Eyes are bad....Hearing is nonexistent without the implant I got and the sound processor magnet stuck to my skull. I have iron poisoning (Hemochromatosis) caused by hundreds of bits of shrapnel still in me as they slowly dissolve.

I got legs of a 25 year old from the knees up.....There isnt much left from the knee's down. If I kneel on a pad I can still lift 300 pounds chest high...If I stand....Hell I'm lucky if I can stand...Forget the weight!

I'm 52 now.....It's just gonna get worse I guess!

We all get old...some of us faster than others!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:42 PM
Silver Member

Arty: I agree wholeheartedly that age in years does not necessarily make you old. Much of the aging process that we observe and feel is due to how we treated our bodies when we were younger. I was a cocky, know-it-all kid who grew up in the era of Detroit muscle cars, and I had one bad hotrod. I was also in twelve serious car wrecks resulting in injuries that never completely heal. i.e. compressed vertebrae. One of the 20 subjects I taught in my career was weightlifting and powerlifting, and the lack of following proper warm-up protocol cost me both of my knees. I am currently recovering from a total rebuild of my right, and will then have my left fixed. I am not complaining in any way...everybody makes their own choices in life and we all have to live with the outcomes. I am just infinitely grateful that modern medical science now allows the surgery I am having to give me two new knees that will make me as good as new. I am also grateful for a country that has a program like medicare that is paying for the bulk of this. I am also infinitely grateful to you, Arty, for the service and sacrifices that you have given for this country, and I am truly sorry that you have to suffer so much for that service. Hang in there, and do the best you can. My father-in-law was a tank commander for Patton and was one of his personal friends. I have the greatest respect for all of our military, police and other service veterans who keep us safe and free.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:29 PM
Silver Member

Re: legislation

Sorry to switch topics again, but this is serious. I am sure that all of you have read about the legislation passed in New York yesterday. This is the most restrictive legislation ever actually passed anywhere, anytime in this country. New York has been a battleground for years, but this latest violation of our 2nd amendment rights is far and away more serious than any of their most previous attempts to take all guns away from all people. I have no AK's , no AR's, or anything made of black plastic, but that is just because I don't like the way they look. But I totally support your right to own them and to attach 50 cartridge clips to them if you so desire. If you think that this is the end of this issue, you have your head in a really dark place. Fortunately, on the same day, Colorado issued a statement that they would not make enforcement of federal guns laws a priority (I hope I read that right!). I am certain that the NRA will become involved in this and that NY's new attempts to target us will end up in the federal courts, hopefully the Supreme Court before Obama gets the opportunity to change the current one vote edge we have there. I am sure that all of you are NRA members, but if you are not, please consider joining; if you are a member, be sure to add your wife and age eligible children to their roles. And when they come asking for money, please send what you can, because the next couple of years are going to be very expensive. As a side note, even though I have a relatively high number of guns, and most of them are not old, but they are of traditional styles, but NY's new laws would require me to , sooner or later, dispose of nearly half of them. Their new laws limit magazines to SEVEN. M-1's hold eight. Say goodbye to your grandfather's or father's, or even your treasured Garand. Also, have some time on your hands if you go in to buy a box of shells, because that now requires the same background check as buying a gun.
The "anti's have no clue what they have started. We have a local dealer who is currently selling 75 to 100 AR's a DAY! The anti-gun establishment has, in a month, been responsible for putting more "assault" weapons on the streets of America than any incident or action in US history. They are incredibly shortsighted and just plain FUBAR beyond belief.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTY SGT View Post
I dont think age has a lot to do with getting old...I think the 22 years I did in the military added 30 years to me at times. Eyes are bad....Hearing is nonexistent without the implant I got and the sound processor magnet stuck to my skull. I have iron poisoning (Hemochromatosis) caused by hundreds of bits of shrapnel still in me as they slowly dissolve.

I got legs of a 25 year old from the knees up.....There isnt much left from the knee's down. If I kneel on a pad I can still lift 300 pounds chest high...If I stand....Hell I'm lucky if I can stand...Forget the weight!

I'm 52 now.....It's just gonna get worse I guess!

We all get old...some of us faster than others!
I agree I spent little over 5 years active duty and I honestly think it aged me 15 years. I'm 27 and have arthritis in my shoulders, My knees sound like popcorn when I walk. When the weather gets cold my back aches. My VA claim has been sitting in limbo for over two years.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 01-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Silver Member

Joe: You are having all these problems at age 27 and the VA is giving you the run around? How soon they forget when you no longer are of practical use to them. If I can write any letters, make any phone calls, or do anything else to let the VA know that I , as a military protected citizen, am not happy with how our vets are being treated, I would be happy to do that. Just let me know who to contact and I will unload 66 years of freedom I would like to remind them of.