Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

First ELR Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 07:57 PM
Bronze Member

First ELR Rig

I want to get into the ELR game and i have a budget of $2500 for the rifle. Should i go with something out of the box or raise some more money for something custom? Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: First ELR Rig

That depends. If you want to shoot often, then get a custom rifle. You will keep it for many years.

Out of the box rifle will do just fine however it may not be under 1/2 MOA "all the time".
Old 01-24-2013, 08:56 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fear in Accuracy View Post
That depends. If you want to shoot often, then get a custom rifle. You will keep it for many years.

Out of the box rifle will do just fine however it may not be under 1/2 MOA "all the time".
I will probably shoot as often as funds allow which should be about once a month. Do you have any suggestions on a custom rifle builder? I read about Gradous Custom Rifles in a magazine, have you ever heard of them and if so what are your thoughts?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

I would give kirby allen a call and build either his 338 Allen Mag, 338 Allen Express, or 375 Allen Mag if you really want to dump some energy on target.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 01-24-2013, 09:28 PM
Gold Member

build something that shoots the .338 300gr berger or the .30 215-230gr berger. i would lean heavily toward the 338.

there are a ton of good smiths on here, so i don't want to start listing them lest i forget one.

have you checked len's guns he has on here. that would cut down your wait time to get it in your hands.

there is a ton of info on here, and the search engine on this site is great. you can find days of reading on the topic you're asking about.

good luck. make sure you save about 2k for optics. lots of guns shoot pretty dang good with a little load work up, not a lot of scopes are suited for this game.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovdasnow View Post
have you checked len's guns he has on here. that would cut down your wait time to get it in your hands.
Len's guns are a little out of my price range, but i might be able to raise some more money to get one of his. They look good and i know they are from a good source with a good reputation
Old 01-24-2013, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

Read and learn what it good on this site.Then watch classifieds on here,you can find right what you want and a good deal,alot have low round count