Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

First ELR miss....and kill with 338 edge.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Gold Member

Re: First ELR miss....and kill with 338 edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canderson View Post
Yes, I had both accounted for in the solution. I might have been off 5 degrees on the azimuth. The deer where I was hunting would hurry up and walk fast or run across the open part of the field. I did not take the time to check the azimuth before firing.

5 degrees of azmuth would do very, very little in your firing solution. it was the wind...or maybe a little scope cant
Old 12-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Silver Member

I am almost positive that it was a misread of the wind on my part. There may have been a little can't it happened so fast I am not for sure. Another lessened learned check and recheck everything twice. I think I am going to have to make a checklist of items to check before each shot.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member

My first non-archery deer was the same as yours - accidental neck shot. Took me a minute to figure out why it dropped right there!

Two minor differences hardly worth noting:

Mine was with a 12 ga shotgun slug, open sights...

Mine was at about 45 yards [:embarrassment:]

Based on the pics, that does not seem to be a huge animal. I would say that is a hell of a shot at 1170 yds, and you should be proud. It will also give you something to investigate/try and replicate in the offseason, which is fun in and of itself.

Congrats on a great shot - hell of a lot farther than I have ever put one down

Thanks for posting it
Old 12-26-2013, 11:21 AM

What this post really demonstrates, in my humble opinion, is that deer sized game are too small for 1000 yard shots. Not necessarily from the point of killing a deer, but from the point of killing a deer humanely. I've read several posts on here of guys killing deer at 1000 yards and most of them are following up with a close-range "coup de gras" shot to actually kill the deer once they finally make it too the animal. That's really not particularly humane hunting in my opinion.
I love long-range shooting and love hunting but not everyone is a world record capable shooter. We've all had those world record days with no one looking but on average most avid long-range shooters can't consistently shoot under 5" to 10" at 1000 on any given day, especially cold bore.
The world record is just under 3 inches. A three inch variable on a deer sized kill zone is really the limit of humane shooting and that's the world record from a bench in a controlled environment and a long time to shoot. If we were talking about bigger game with larger kill zones then I wouldn't be bitching so much.
I own a private gun range with targets out to 1000 yards and I have some very gifted members who compete in long range events and do very well. I see guys shoot at long distances all the time and I know what the average shooter can do and not do.
If you don't agree (this is a long-range hunting site) that's ok, but at least please be more thoughtful about what you post considering that our second amendment rights are being threatened all the time and people could use some of our more inhumane examples of long-range hunting mishaps against us (gun-owners/hunters) to say that hunters are only about the sport and not sustainability or worse that hunters aren't interested in clean and humane killing, only killing for the sake of killing.
I am not saying that this hunter falls into any of those categories as I don't know him, I am only saying that shooting at 1000 yards takes discipline and practice and even with the best equipment, loads, experience, etc., some small thing like a switch wind that you cannot read without range flags could cause anyone to make a crippling but not lethal shot on deer sized and smaller game. If you do that, please don't post it where others can read about it.