Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

First ELR miss....and kill with 338 edge.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Silver Member

First ELR miss....and kill with 338 edge.

I had an eventful hunt a couple of days ago. I was hunting a field where a friend of mine farms. I had previously put a feeder 1060 yards away from my shooting position. While waiting and watching the feeder, three deer came out along the river bank. I watch the group and was positive the biggest one was a doe. After ranging the tree line right behind the deer at 1175. I dialed in the firing solution for 1170. I looked at the mirage and thought there wasn't any wind. I broke the shot, recovered the sight picture and watched the deer fold. Needless to say, I was extremely excited. After driving to the deer I notice there was not an entrance or exit in the chest. Upon further examination the deer was very slightly quartering toward me. I missed e chest and hit her neck about six inches forward the chest. The bullet exit at the neck shoulder area. It wasn't quite the precision shot I wanted but, it got the job done. Also, I didn't waste any meat. Shooting a BAT machine 338 edge 300 bergers 2820 fps.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
First ELR miss....and kill with 338 edge.-image.jpg  
Old 12-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Gold Member

Re: First ELR miss....and kill with 338 edge.

Wow, impressive shot! I get deer fever when I see them so I need to work up to shots like those. The furthest I have shot a deer is 150! lol...its due to not having the opportunity since its mostly thick woods in GA when I go home to hunt. It also doesnt hurt that you have great equipment which I am sure gives you that little extra boost of confidence (excluding your practice).
Old 12-13-2013, 08:49 PM
Silver Member

I would feel excited as you when I shot an animal over a thousand yards.

What did you figure out how the bullet end up 6" to 12" to the left from the chest where you plan to aim if there is no wind?

Possible slightly wind between you and the deer?
Old 12-13-2013, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

My elevation may have been one click high 1/4moa in a perfect world. I guess the wind was blowing a little more 30 feet off the ground, I guess that is what caused the error. I was probably 1/2-3/4 MOA off on the wind. By working backward with my ballistic program I figure I missed the wind by 1 mph. It is amazing how precise a person needs to be past 1000 yds.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:44 AM
Gold Member

Believe it or not but anything past 400 yards is when the physics truly take effect! It's amazing the difference of hold over when you get into the 400 realm. So lets triple it with your shot and that's understanding true science and your equipment capabilities.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

Spin drift and Coriolis employed in ballistic solution ?
Old 12-14-2013, 08:08 AM
Silver Member

Yes, I had both accounted for in the solution. I might have been off 5 degrees on the azimuth. The deer where I was hunting would hurry up and walk fast or run across the open part of the field. I did not take the time to check the azimuth before firing.