Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Fine Tuning @ 1300

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Gold Member

Re: Fine Tuning @ 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackem View Post
T3-OleMan,

I am assuming these:

Altitude (ft) 9,928
Station Pressure (hg) 20.01
Temperature (F) 19 SNOW
Humidity (%) 99

Are conditions you are putting in for your Colorado hunt?

What unit are you hunting? I don't know how much humidity affects LR shots but 99% humidity here is rare - at 6 AM this morning, the most humid hour, we had 34% here in Grand Junction and it will be around 10-15% as the day warms. Daily temps are in the 70s and lows are around freezing.

You probably shouldn't come out here at this time of year, it'll make you want to stay

Good luck with your hunt!

Jack
I could be wrong, but if you are imputting ACTUAL STATION psi..(absolute?...IE..NOT CORRECTED) you do not need to imput alt. With my "Shooter" phone app, if I switch it to actual station PSI, the program will not even accept any alt imputs.

If I am wrong, please...someone correct me!!!

Tod
Old 10-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
I could be wrong, but if you are imputting ACTUAL STATION psi..(absolute?...IE..NOT CORRECTED) you do not need to imput alt. With my "Shooter" phone app, if I switch it to actual station PSI, the program will not even accept any alt imputs.

If I am wrong, please...someone correct me!!!

Tod
Todd, I believe you are correct in using actual station pressure to be the most precise. Altitude pressure is an 'average of station pressures' at that altitude over a period of time.

Jack
Old 10-30-2012, 12:41 PM
Gold Member

Kinda thought I had it figured out...but when I saw the imputs he was using...PSI of 20.01!!!! That HAS to be actual station PSI, not corrected. With that imput, the 9928 ft alt imput is moot.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
Kinda thought I had it figured out...but when I saw the imputs he was using...PSI of 20.01!!!! That HAS to be actual station PSI, not corrected. With that imput, the 9928 ft alt imput is moot.

Tod, you are absolutely correct. Don't get confused. When I go to the well I get the bucket full, the excess is free, if anything is ever free. When I go to a real world weather site I get ALL that is there for that elevation. I may need it some day in some other application, and it was ALL real that day!

I made a 1 page 11 row, 12 column EXL spread sheet for SC 500' and CO 8k', 9k', 9928' {Leadville(KLXV) i.e. Vail} and 11k' with Temps 0F, 10F, 20F......100F as the first Col.

All this is for Hornady 185gr GMX Superformance factory round and my zeiss-victory-diavari-4-16x50-t-fl-riflescope, on 338WM.

I use the Ballistics Calculator - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc (this is a new version )and the Zeiss Optical Long Range Reticle Analysis Prog to get the setting for Optimum Power to get max accuracy from my Rapid Z 800. Note that Adv. Hornady wants everything....even still wants humidity? I use REAL station pressure every time I can get it or calculate it cause (being an old pilot) I don't like averaged oatmeal!!!!!!!!!! Can be like the statistian who drown in a creek that averaged 1 & 1/4 IN. DEEP.
On my stock is taped reduced / colored-for camo- copy of this sheet.
Here is how it works:
When I get to hunting site.
Record outside temp.
Shut the engin off.
Set scope for Optimum Power Setting using the temp line @ Elevation.

This sheet also reflects the Temp effect on Superformance powder and how if it is 70F and I am 9,928' My GMX 185 goes out at 3,080 fps (on the box)and I must set my scope at 15.27X to get all cross hairs from 200 yds to 800 yds to be ZERO! For 900, 1,000+ yds I have hold over calcs based on the 800yd cross hair. However, if it is 0F my GMX drops to 2,997 fps (-83fps_powder sensitivity) and I have to set Optimum Power Setting to 14.00X. Now all I have to do is get my LEICA CRF 1600 to tell me the accurate Distance to target. I don't have large angle shooting places so I am the only thing that can fail. I can take the pressure. I've missed before and if I get enough opportunities I may fail again? Film at eleven.
Note : The CRF 1600 measured Chimney Rock at 1,968 yds as sun set behind it. Yikes!!

Had two ELK lined up but they would not both fit in the GRILL and under the hood so I stopped! Dadgummit, only ELK I saw in 9 days. Dang drought was bad last week. Think I'll go ML or 4th rifle next year.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Gold Member

Here's my 2 cents worth! New shooters coming into the LR venue often find it difficult to believe that SD is a goblin that will jump out of the bushes and eat their lunches but it doesn't take them long to figure out that "Hey....I've got a dead nuts zero on my rifle at 100 yards but my bullet impact was 14" right at 1000 yards!" Nothing can teach this better than when shooting long/slow/heavy bullets at long range. I've been shooting M1874 Sharps rifles for quite a few years now, in addition to all of my smokeless powder rifles, using cast lead bullets with weights ranging from 500 grs. up to 720 grs. with velocities running from 1250 fps up to 1400 fps. If I were to go up on my range here at home on an ideal day aka absolutely no wind and visible mirage and get a dead nuts wind zero from 100 yards and then go back to 1000 yards to shoot which I do on a regular basis and use the 100 yard wind zero....I probably wouldn't hit the 72"x72" mainframe steel plate with a good break and call!! Why? The same dead nuts wind zero that I had obtained at 100 yards would have the point of impact at least 35" to 40" right of my aiming point due to imparted SD delivered by the right hand 1-18" twist built into the rifles barrel! Spin drift is a natural law of physics and cannot be denied!