Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.


Reply

Fine Tuning @ 1300

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #8  
Old 09-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,940
Re: Fine Tuning @ 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackem View Post
I had 2.25 MOA dialed in for windage, the correction my B7 gave for 5mph at 1312 yards. Do you think that was too much?
Jack, my 338 LM with a 300 OTM, MV of 2800 shooting at roughly 4000 ft altitude is ike this.

5 mph full value wind at 9:00 or a left wind. the correction would be .8 moa left for spin drift and adding 5 mph left wind a total of 3.5 moa left correction.

The same shot with a 5 mph right wind from 3:00 would be a total correction of 2 moa left.

It gets a little confusing adding or subtracting spin drift . But your right twist barrel will have a SD correction of over 10" left at 1300 yards.


Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Western Colorado
Posts: 205
Re: Fine Tuning @ 1300

Jeff,

Thanks for your time. I think I understand the SD effect now that I read a bit on it, I had not considered it before.

So, if I have a 9 o'clock 5 mph wind I should add .8 MOA to the correction for the windage the B7 gives no matter the distance -and subtract .8 MOA for a 3 o'clock wind?

And would the correction double in a 10 mph wind?

Thanks again,

Jack
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,940
Re: Fine Tuning @ 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackem View Post
Jeff,


So, if I have a 9 o'clock 5 mph wind I should add .8 MOA to the correction for the windage the B7 gives no matter the distance -and subtract .8 MOA for a 3 o'clock wind?

And would the correction double in a 10 mph wind?

Thanks again,

Jack
No SD is relevant to distance. That .8 was for a 1300 yards shot with your rifle. It would only be .5 moa at 1000 yds

Since your rifle has a right twist barrel you will have right spin drift. So the correction for the SD will always be a left correction and is completely seperate from wind drift.

My ballistic calculator has the option to always correct for SD and I leave it on all the time. So it always adds or subracts it from my shooting solution it gives me when I enter all field conditions and distance.

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Western Colorado
Posts: 205
Re: Fine Tuning @ 1300

As soon as I can get set up for reloading and can stop shooting these tightly wrapped $5 dollar bills I need to shoot enough to develop a correction chart for shots beyond a 1,000.

For now I'll use a politically correct adjustment;
Be liberal when adjusting for winds from the left
Be conservative when adjusting for winds from the right...

Jeff, Thanks for your patience!

Jack
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-29-2012, 12:57 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New Castle colorado
Posts: 792
Re: Fine Tuning @ 1300

I've been using that G7 rangefinder this year. With careful fine tuning I have found no need to develop a chart for shots over 1000 yards. Mine was giving me dead accurate ballistic solutions out to 1380 yards last weekend. What I failed to add was the extra click in windage for spin drift at that range. I have my LR scopes zeroed .5 MOA left and that compensates nicely for spin drift out to 1K.
That shifty 5 mph wind at 1300 is real challenging, especially if it switches directions as well. I shoot marmots a lot in above-timberline basins. The winds are usually pretty shifty when they pick up. Last weekend they were not only gusting 0-5, but shifting frequently in direction. I am still learning to read the wind, so I was hitting a half MOA on one side, then again to the other side. Very frustrating. I squeezed one off during a momentary lull and hit the edge of a tennis ball sized target. It was a good one to quit on, so I packed up and went home.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 869
Re: Fine Tuning @ 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
No SD is relevant to distance. That .8 was for a 1300 yards shot with your rifle. It would only be .5 moa at 1000 yds

Since your rifle has a right twist barrel you will have right spin drift. So the correction for the SD will always be a left correction and is completely seperate from wind drift.

My ballistic calculator has the option to always correct for SD and I leave it on all the time. So it always adds or subracts it from my shooting solution it gives me when I enter all field conditions and distance.

Jeff
Jeff i couldnt agree more on spin drift. I was shooting yesterday with some buddys that is going with me to Co, this year. They shot at 500 than 800 and stopped with there euiptment. I broke out my edge at 1220 yards. My first shot at a jug was high due to i used drop chart for 1400' and was shooting at 2550'. I dialed down 3/4 moa elevation fine. I left othere shoot and they held 2 moa for wind and was still off around a 4-5 mph wind. I got up and held almost 3 moa and hit the jug. I told them rhand twist its going right have to allow for that besides the wind. I have never seen spin drift discussed to much but i have sure learned what it can do.
MIke
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: GSP, SC, USA
Posts: 629
Re: Fine Tuning @ 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Jack, my 338 LM with a 300 OTM, MV of 2800 shooting at roughly 4000 ft altitude is ike this.

5 mph full value wind at 9:00 or a left wind. the correction would be .8 moa left for spin drift and adding 5 mph left wind a total of 3.5 moa left correction.

The same shot with a 5 mph right wind from 3:00 would be a total correction of 2 moa left.

It gets a little confusing adding or subtracting spin drift . But your right twist barrel will have a SD correction of over 10" left at 1300 yards.


Jeff
Jeff, where can I go get my spin drift data for my 338WM (24 3/8" 1/10"R) 185gr GMX, MV 3,009 @ 9,928'....in the snow-no wind {:>)? Don't do moa's Zeiss Victory Diavari 4-16x50 T* FL 30mm and run their in house Reticle analysis to get "Optimum Power so my Rapid Z 800 will be right on for drop chart for temp - alt. and MV changes. What would be my "SD correction of over X" left at 800, 900 & 1,001 yards"? Please forgive the underrange-some times you have to go where the preacher is.
__________________
Son, The first shot is the important one - the others just make him run faster! Grandpa 1949
NRA Life Member 1970
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Fine Tuning @ 1300
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SS 5-20 HD Illuminated FS - $1300 rbeckwith Optics For Sale 1 02-25-2012 12:34 PM
win 1300 slug gun iron brigade Long Range Shotgun Slug Hunting 4 12-22-2011 02:02 PM
1300 win barrel [rifled] iron brigade Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc. 0 10-08-2011 09:03 AM
300 Win Custom Build. 1300.00 angv350 Guns For Sale 0 06-18-2010 08:49 PM
Fine-tuning load AND rifle. Joaquin B Long Range Hunting & Shooting 7 06-03-2010 11:55 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC