close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Reply

Finally got my 338 Lapua

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 09-15-2012, 06:48 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northeast
Posts: 3,421
Finally got my 338 Lapua

After a six month wait, Savage finally shipped my Savage 110 FCP 338Lapua. They must have completed their production run which seems to be once or twice a year. While I've been able to get all the necessary components to set it up but I'm not sure I'll have the time to use it this season, it's pretty late. I've limited myself to 1000 yards with my 6.5x284's and looking forward to extending my range. I am quite impressed with the fit, finish, and quality of workmanship. I hope it shoots as good as it looks. Won it at a Savage sponsored egg shoot, and got a 50% discount on any rifle from them.
__________________

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 09-15-2012, 07:35 AM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2012
    Location: Florida
    Posts: 200
    Re: Finally got my 338 Lapua

    Let us know how it shoots! I wanted the same rifle but got the Savage 111 LRH 338LM instead. Waiting for my scope rings to get here on Tuesday then off to the range. First impressions with the 111 LRH....VERY LIGHT rifle. I'll post a picture or two when I get it all set up.

    Anyone know if the 110 FCP stock will fit on the 111 LRH 338LM?
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 09-15-2012, 04:24 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Location: Northeast
    Posts: 3,421
    Re: Finally got my 338 Lapua

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ludicrous View Post
    Let us know how it shoots! I wanted the same rifle but got the Savage 111 LRH 338LM instead. Waiting for my scope rings to get here on Tuesday then off to the range. First impressions with the 111 LRH....VERY LIGHT rifle. I'll post a picture or two when I get it all set up.

    Anyone know if the 110 FCP stock will fit on the 111 LRH 338LM?
    Will do, good luck with your LRH. I understand the stock will fit but the barrel on the LRHis thinner than the FCP. That's the weight difference. between the two models.
    __________________

    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 09-20-2012, 02:38 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Sep 2012
    Location: Spring Lake Michigan
    Posts: 1,242
    Re: Finally got my 338 Lapua

    Yes please let use know how both workout im looking the 338-378 but am being draw more towards the savage lrh. Looking forward to hearing your results.
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 09-21-2012, 07:13 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Location: Northeast
    Posts: 3,421
    Re: Finally got my 338 Lapua

    Got the new Savage FCP 338 out to the range today. Loaded up 20 rounds. 14 with 89gr H1000, 3 at 89.5 and 3 at 90. Breaking in with one shot/ clean it was cleaning up fast after 8-9 rounds. Shot the rest for 3 shot groups at 100 yards. The 89 gr load was 1", the 89.5gr was .5" and the 90 gr, .4" with two shots just sbout in the same hole. Primers flattening some with 90 but there were no ejector marks or hard extraction. Seated the 300 gr Bergers .025 out of the lands. Looks like a shooter. I'll start refining and chronographing in a couple of weeks. I was very surprised with the recoil. Much lighter than I was expecting. It feels like a 300WSM. I was shooting in a t shirt. Pleasant to shoot. With the NF 5x22 G7 mounted it weighs 13 pounds.
    __________________

    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 09-21-2012, 07:39 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2012
    Location: ND
    Posts: 2,801
    Re: Finally got my 338 Lapua

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    Got the new Savage FCP 338 out to the range today. Loaded up 20 rounds. 14 with 89gr H1000, 3 at 89.5 and 3 at 90. Breaking in with one shot/ clean it was cleaning up fast after 8-9 rounds. Shot the rest for 3 shot groups at 100 yards. The 89 gr load was 1", the 89.5gr was .5" and the 90 gr, .4" with two shots just sbout in the same hole. Primers flattening some with 90 but there were no ejector marks or hard extraction. Seated the 300 gr Bergers .025 out of the lands. Looks like a shooter. I'll start refining and chronographing in a couple of weeks. I was very surprised with the recoil. Much lighter than I was expecting. It feels like a 300WSM. I was shooting in a t shirt. Pleasant to shoot. With the NF 5x22 G7 mounted it weighs 13 pounds.
    Ours kicks like my 5.5 pound 7mm-08 shooting 140 grain bullets. Ours also weighs 14.8 pounds with 5 in the mag. Seems like its shooting great! Ive got the 280 grain LRX shooting an average of .3 MOA
    __________________

    I'm 18
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
    ~George Washington

    "The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
    ~ JE Custom

    Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

    My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 09-22-2012, 09:24 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Location: Northeast
    Posts: 3,421
    Re: Finally got my 338 Lapua

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
    Ours kicks like my 5.5 pound 7mm-08 shooting 140 grain bullets. Ours also weighs 14.8 pounds with 5 in the mag. Seems like its shooting great! Ive got the 280 grain LRX shooting an average of .3 MOA
    Yea, I'm pretty happy with it. I think I'm going to try seeing what happens kicking it up in .5 gr increments and do some chrono work for velocity and ES testing. I'm glad it's shooting with H1000, I have 8# of it. Maybe I'll have her ready for my mulie, whitetail hunt in Alberta in November. Real long shots possible where I hunt. Won't make it for Wyoming next week. I'll use my 6.5-284.
    __________________

    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: Finally got my 338 Lapua
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    finally yotehunter243 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 8 08-09-2012 04:07 AM
    bought a lapua finally myrifleisLapua Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 3 01-29-2012 01:01 PM
    338 Lapua Finally Done PICS!! Tikkamike Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 16 09-13-2010 08:07 AM
    Finally put it together! texan79 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 8 05-29-2010 05:47 AM
    Finally had it 280AIman Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 16 02-05-2008 04:52 AM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC