Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

enviromental corrections-what do you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: enviromental corrections-what do you use?

Wind (not just left to right but 3d) I shoot mountain terrain.
Absolute Barometric Pressure
Temp
Coriolus
spin drift
Humidity, to lesser extent.

** Wind. I adjust for elevation depending on wind direction relative to twist of rifling. L to R wind I adjust UP, R to L wind I adjust down. It is not much but at 1500 I have seen impact go low or high .5 MOA. 5-10 mph full value. I have not taken the longer shoots in heavier wind 15-20.

Not sure if you consider that environmental or not, but I do. Same as thermal activity in the mountains. Air moves and up and down with the terrain and depending on if I hug the mountain side or shoot over it, depends on what happens to my bullet.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:15 AM
Bronze Member

Brent,

Thanks for the response.
I have heard about this "roll" from shooting crosswinds at distance. I have looked for it best I can butmhardly any of my real long shots were made with conditions food enough to point things like that out to me. Variables were too much.

That's one reason I wanted to start this thread. If a shooter has most all aspects of the things that change impact at long distance then he will be able to point of smaller and smaller differences and errors. It has just been in the last few years I have been studying the subject and had the ability to goshoot different places at different distances

In lLA shooting conditions won't be near as different for month to month as it is in western regions.

When we get ti do our elr shooting is winter when the crops are down and its usually our windiest too.

Thanks again for the response. Sounds like you git it down pretty well.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:16 AM
Bronze Member

Forgive my auto spell and fat fingers. Lol
Old 11-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

It is a pain in the butt for sure. I was shooting 1500 yards one day and the wind was gusting L to R. My shots were stringing up and down as well as L and right. So I decided to shoot during the strong wind and plot the impact and then light wind and plot the impact. Elevation changed with the wind and at that distance it was easy to see it.

I am not convinced yet that lighter wind has enough of an affect for hunting purposes alone. I was shooting in a variable wind ( 4-7 ) last Friday at 1486 and 48 yards. Impacts in elevation were minimal. In fact, on paper my 948 yard impacts deviated less than 2". I was stringing L and R though. I was not too impressed myself on that but it did educate me, once again, as to how much affect conditions can have. 1.3 to 2.3 MOA is the wind affect in that shooting scenario. I adjusted .25MOA up for the wind, impacts were still about .25 low but wind variance high to low at 948 yards was almost 10".

I am constantly humbled but wind in the mountains. On the plains it doesn't bother me to bad.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Gold Member

Or you can use the S&HS method!
Old 11-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Gold Member

I use two different techniques. But let me state up front that I do not travel far when I hunt, and here in ND things are relitivly flat.

I make up a chart for my scope based on the forseen environmental perameters.. I know that the elevation is going to remain constant to within 200 feet and I look at the extended forcast to find an average temp. If it looks like there will be a wild swing in temps I will make up a new dial up and hold over chart....I do not mess with the wind chart.

I plug all this into my Seirra I6 program and make up charts for the top of my scope. See pictures.

I also have a kestral 3500 and the Shooter app. When I have time I use this most. I plug in station pressure, temp, azmith (ie 49th parallel), distance, and shooting direction and hit enter. It figures spin drift and coriolis. Absolutly AWSOME!!

The top chart is 9/3oclock wind from 5 mph to 30 mph out to 1000 yards im MOA...I have an NP-R1 reticle.

The second chart is dial ups using the forseen avarage environmental parameters from 350 to 1500 yards in 25 yard incruments.

The bottom is my holdovers (using 22 power) on my NSX NP R1 reticle.

Like I said, if there is time I go to the shooter...way more exact at extream ranges.

ALSO, DROPS ARE COMFERMED ON PAPER TO EXTREAM RANGE OVER MANY DAYS TESTING. Not just "print and shoot".....

Good luck,
Tod
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
enviromental corrections-what do you use?-dsc00926.jpg   enviromental corrections-what do you use?-dsc00927.jpg  

enviromental corrections-what do you use?-dsc00928.jpg  
Old 11-20-2013, 09:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
I use two different techniques. But let me state up front that I do not travel far when I hunt, and here in ND things are relitivly flat.

I make up a chart for my scope based on the forseen environmental perameters.. I know that the elevation is going to remain constant to within 200 feet and I look at the extended forcast to find an average temp. If it looks like there will be a wild swing in temps I will make up a new dial up and hold over chart....I do not mess with the wind chart.

I plug all this into my Seirra I6 program and make up charts for the top of my scope. See pictures.

I also have a kestral 3500 and the Shooter app. When I have time I use this most. I plug in station pressure, temp, azmith (ie 49th parallel), distance, and shooting direction and hit enter. It figures spin drift and coriolis. Absolutly AWSOME!!

The top chart is 9/3oclock wind from 5 mph to 30 mph out to 1000 yards im MOA...I have an NP-R1 reticle.

The second chart is dial ups using the forseen avarage environmental parameters from 350 to 1500 yards in 25 yard incruments.

The bottom is my holdovers (using 22 power) on my NSX NP R1 reticle.

Like I said, if there is time I go to the shooter...way more exact at extream ranges.

ALSO, DROPS ARE COMFERMED ON PAPER TO EXTREAM RANGE OVER MANY DAYS TESTING. Not just "print and shoot".....

Good luck,
Tod
I like this. Simple yet provides all the data required for an accurate firing solution.
Great work and system!!!!!