Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

ELR rifle build: Single or Magazine?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Silver Member

ELR rifle build: Single or Magazine?

So I had thought everything was finalized for my latest wildcat build, but cannot get over the nagging fact that the CIP length magazines are going to hamstring the potential of the 375/338 Lapua improved case.

I think that I have made up my mind to change the build to a single shot, but have never owned one. Can anyone offer up a reason to, or not to go, with the single shot over the magazine fed rifle?

I originally was going to go Seekins bottom metal and magazine, but I'd probably have more luck bagging a unicorn than scoring that set-up.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

Re: ELR rifle build: Single or Magazine?

99% of my long range shots are prone. One in the tube and one or two along side the gun ready to go for a follow up is all that is needed. In the last several years I have owned many repeaters that would feed just fine from the mags. But I only loaded one at a time. If a follow up is needed, and the difference in time between chambering a mag fed round, and tossing one next to the rifle in, makes a difference, you will probably not have time to execute a quality long range shot anyway. My newest long range rig is a single shot. I also just finished one for a friend with a stiller single feed Tac 338. We have no regrets and I don't see me ever going back for a long range rig.

We were over a prairie dog town once. A friend was loading a bag box. I was pulling rounds one at a time from a ammo box of 50. I was sending just as many rounds as he was. While he stopped to load his mag, I was getting 2 or 3 shots off. In the end the mag box had nothing to offer for these situations.

Not to mention the strength added to an single feed action.

Jeff
Old 10-20-2013, 06:41 AM
Gold Member

+1 for me on single-shot rifles. My 338LM Improved is a singleshot, as will be my very soon to be ordered LRKM.

I had my 338 out at 1,900 yards yesterday. With flight times of over 3 seconds (300 gr. Lapua Scenar @ 3,000 fps - 100.0 gr VV 570), I had no problem placing the next round onto the tray before the first one arrived at the target.

I too support the concept of single shot actions being more rigid, every scrap of which comes in handy when you are shooting at targets that are 1 MOA or less and sitting over a mile away.

JeffVN
Old 10-25-2013, 02:51 PM
Gold Member

Think about it, if you missed your first long range shot you should probably take at least a few seconds to figure out WHY, and make a correction. So being able to send another round very quickly is kind of like that old definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.
I to like the extra strength in single shot action, especially when you are hanging a big LONG heavy barrel off of it.

Dave
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 10-25-2013, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

I went with a single shot in my 338 LM and have no regrets whatsoever. I actually like it.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

Dave:

If you seriously feel the need for a mag, consider going to an AI version of the 338 Norma Magnum.

Find more discussion of "SS vs Mag" in one of the introductory Defensive Edge LRKM threads.
Not a commercial business.
ELR...anything shorter is point blank!
Old 10-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Silver Member

Plus 1 on the single shot. No need for a repeater