Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

ELR? Elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Gold Member

Re: ELR? Elk

Whitesheep, Yes, Bravo 4 is the real deal. He is a good friend, and a great shot. If he says he shot an elk at whatever yards you can take it to the bank!!

Good shooting buddy, congrats and thanks for telling the story!!
Old 11-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Bronze Member

Cool Beans!

I am off for on an Elk hunt next week here in AZ, but I will NOT be shooting 1000 yards. My personal limit is 300 given the lack of practice and other excuses. I once was confident out to 500 when preparing for an AK sheep hunt, but no longer.

Thank you again for the great story and keep up the practice if you can afford the time.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:43 PM

I am hoping that my photo will show up this time. I'm still a new user. My home made PSL/ Dragunov that shoots a 7.62x54r Bullets. I would like to know if this rifle is capable of shooting long range. I do know that the original Dragunov was a Sniper Rifle capable of shooting long distance. I have a 9-14x50 Nikon Scope and have not tried shooting it at a long range, due to a motorcycle accident that i had a few months back. Where can I go around here in Layton, Utah to shoot long range with out getting in trouble ?
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
ELR? Elk-pic_0364.jpg  
Old 11-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM3313 View Post
I am hoping that my photo will show up this time. I'm still a new user. My home made PSL/ Dragunov that shoots a 7.62x54r Bullets. I would like to know if this rifle is capable of shooting long range. I do know that the original Dragunov was a Sniper Rifle capable of shooting long distance. I have a 9-14x50 Nikon Scope and have not tried shooting it at a long range, due to a motorcycle accident that i had a few months back. Where can I go around here in Layton, Utah to shoot long range with out getting in trouble ?
The only way to find out is to try. The 7.62X54 is similar in power to a .308 Win in my understanding, but since it does have additional case capacity, you should be able to hand load an effective round of similar capability, if not a little more. Be sure you know how much energy is remaining at the distances you intend to shoot if this is a hunting application.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM3313 View Post
I've shot and spotted behind several Dragunov and clones, they were all decent shooters. It's ballistically around .308/30-06 level except I think it fires .312 bullets. Not bad for a design that's been around since the 60's and fires a round that's over 100 years old.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:52 AM
Gold Member

Nice shot Bravo. I've been practicing all year for just such a shot, but a back injury and upcoming surgery has kept me from hunting at all.

Thank you sir, for your service to our country.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBrad View Post
Nice shot Bravo. I've been practicing all year for just such a shot, but a back injury and upcoming surgery has kept me from hunting at all.

Thank you sir, for your service to our country.
Well that just sucks Brad, I was right up the road from you. I would have been happy to have helped you hunt and would have done all the work. Good luck to ya, I'll send up a prayer. I know how a spinal surgery can be, earlier this year I had a plate and 4 screws put in my neck.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.