Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

ELR? Elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Gold Member

Re: ELR? Elk

Way to Get-er-done! Congrats.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Broz,
If you are asking me about anything computer generated here is my response: If you cannot just plug it in and turn it on, it's beyond my expertise!

He is not the same caliber a bull as the one you shot, he is just a nice 5x6. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy I got one this nice but he is not what I would consider a wall hanger. On the public land we were hunting I think any legal bull would have been in trouble. I was just lucky, after talking with several dozen hunters and a few game wardens this was the only bull killed in the area to their knowledge. I know that the first bull I seen that morning got spooked towards the herd of road hunters and had half a dozen shots fired at him. That is not my style of hunting, I put up with enough public land hunters in my home state of Arkansas. Opening morning has everybody and their Grandmother out in the woods. I'm thinking I would rather save up for a few years and go on a guided remote or drop camp in the wilderness then go fight the crowds every year. I didn't spend all that money and drive 20 hours for the comradery with my fellow man. There are deer camps all over the place for that.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:20 PM
Bronze Member

Nice bull great shot cant wait to get out the next two weekends are my chance.....
Pictures do not open up bigger, you can try right click on picture, view picture, then hold "CTRL" key and press +++ to make image bigger coincidentally ctrl and - makes it smaller works on most computers most any page any browser try it on here .
Old 11-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Platinum Member

Bravo4, If you get a chance, post a photo of the rifle you used.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo 4 View Post
Broz,
If you are asking me about anything computer generated here is my response: If you cannot just plug it in and turn it on, it's beyond my expertise!

He is not the same caliber a bull as the one you shot, he is just a nice 5x6. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy I got one this nice but he is not what I would consider a wall hanger. On the public land we were hunting I think any legal bull would have been in trouble. I was just lucky, after talking with several dozen hunters and a few game wardens this was the only bull killed in the area to their knowledge. I know that the first bull I seen that morning got spooked towards the herd of road hunters and had half a dozen shots fired at him. That is not my style of hunting, I put up with enough public land hunters in my home state of Arkansas. Opening morning has everybody and their Grandmother out in the woods. I'm thinking I would rather save up for a few years and go on a guided remote or drop camp in the wilderness then go fight the crowds every year. I didn't spend all that money and drive 20 hours for the comradery with my fellow man. There are deer camps all over the place for that.

He looks like a great bull to me and reading of how you set up for the shot was cool. I love those type of shots where everything works out from good planning and preparation. I know that feeling waiting during bullet flight and the satisfaction when the wait is ended by the animal folding up and going down to stay. Pretty darn cool indeed.

Congrats man , and again, great job on the trigger end.

Jeff
Old 11-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Gold Member

Bravo 4----great story and congrats. Sometimes, you just can't depend on your huntin partner, but you can on a trusty steed!

Randy

P.S. And I ain't EVER packin an elk out on my 55 year old back again...............
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
ELR? Elk-deer-3.jpg  

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 11-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the kind words.

As far as the pack animals, I have a horse that I might try to train for next trip. Problem is he thinks he's a dog. We rescued him a couple years back and he has never been ridden, gonna take a lot of work. He has a couple of little goat buddies that follow him around all day...

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.