Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

cross winds & downdrafts at 1150 & 1625

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

cross winds & downdrafts at 1150 & 1625

This last weekend I was killing some rocks across a canyon and had a wind situation I havn't dealt with before so I wanted to share it. I will start by saying that I shoot a lot in BIG canyon country (central ID), so I am use to shifty winds, updrafts and down drafts. Usually updrafts and downdrafts are expected with the diurnal winds or if the slope lines up with your prevailing wind. Well I set up to shoot across a canyon that was running West to East ( East being down slope), at the head of that canyon is a major ridge running North to South. I had a full value wind coming from the west (coming over that major ridge running N to S) I adjusted for a full value 10 mph wind and adjusted my dope according to the Kestrel and ipad, which have been spot on out to 1700 yds. Broke the shot and watched the shot hit 1 1/2 moa low and 1/2 to the R. I wasn't surprised by the windage being off but the elevation got my attention. readjusted accordingly and broke the second shot. Wind was good and but still 1/2 low. Adjusted accordingly and hit the mark. repeated and hit the mark, realigned on the next pile of rocks at 1625 and repeated the process. This rock required 3 1/2 moa extra elevation to anchor, plus the appropriate wind.

My conclusion, as wind travels over ridges, it creates burbles on the backside of those ridges and down air is the result of those burbles. To back that statement, I was at the same canyon the next day, no wind situation, dialed in my original dope and cold bored the 10x on my rock. Repeated that at the 1625 rock. Something to think about in canyon country.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: cross winds & downdrafts at 1150 & 1625

I dont think people play that much to realize what you are talking about in these distances. I know first hand and have been trying to read landscape with like winds to see what happens and I am shocked with what I find.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

Wind mixed with topography can be a humbling endeavor!!!
Old 04-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Sawyer View Post
Wind mixed with topography can be a humbling endeavor!!!
Amen..

Jeff
Old 04-30-2013, 06:25 AM
Bronze Member

As an old glider pilot having done my fair share of ridge soaring, i can fully appreciate the presence of very strong up- and downdrafts in steep valleys. To say that i utilise it when shooting would be a vast exaggeration...

I feel a lot of people miss over and under to vertical wind, and think it is due to other variables, such as ES, bad shooting, wrong V0, wrong BC, WTF. In the hills and mountains, shooting these distances, a bullet is going to be blown up or down, period.

Just starting to get a sort of a grip on horisontal wind judgement, this weekend was a first for me in assessing the vertical vind, and making a first round hit on a target with a wind corrected elevation adjustment.
Just 980m out, but still.

K
Old 04-30-2013, 08:28 AM
Silver Member

My shooting partner and I have seen this happen quite a few times. We have an area that we shoot out to 2000 plus yards alot and have seen some major changes in elevation due to up drafts makes you think twice about what you think you know?? Also angle of the shot doesn't cross alot of peoples minds, but it can really change things up if it's not accounted for.

Jordan
Old 04-30-2013, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member

Those large pine trees on steep slopes in the bullet path, flapping their arms like they were trying to fly. It took me a long time before I realized they were trying to tell me something.

Jeff