Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Choosing a long range caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Choosing a long range caliber

If you really want to play the game out to a mile, get a 300 RUM or bigger. If your good with playing to 1K or so, get a 300 WM or WSM. You can hit the rocks and steel with the other chambers, but the visual and audible feedback is not the same.

Once you've shot out to 1K a few times and get comfortable with that, you'll want to go farther.... and farther.... and farther. I just watched Broz shoot a 1/2 MOA rock @ 2270 yds 2 for 4 shots this past weekend with his 338 LRKM Terminator... that and watching KiwiGreg's 375 CheyTac shooting past 2K gets ya stirred up.

Now it's nice to have a collection of good rifles and I'm working on getting at least one of each cal from 223 up, but those big boys are....well...

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Silver Member

You mentioned starting with a Sendero, presumably for cost savings. I would advise against it. That was my thinking a couple years ago too. After sending mine back to Remington to get it to shoot within warranty, which they define as 1" for 3 shots, as measured to the closest edge of the holes (not center) and spending hundreds more having it worked on by a very well known gunsmith, I was still left with a marginal long range rifle that maybe shot 7/8" groups, still had a factory trigger, and did not have an extended magazine to allow for properly seated Berger bullets. I finally sold it and had a custom 300 RUM built with all the necessary bells and whistles--and it shoots one hole groups with Berger 230s--for about $2,350. That sounds like a lot compared to the cost of a Sendero at about $1200, but when you start adding up all the extras---Manners stock, Jewel trigger, 4" extended Wyatt mag, cheek comb riser, muzzle brake, 28" heavy contour competition barrel, etc., you are actually money ahead with the custom build. And when the rifle is done, it will shoot, whereas a customized Sendero may or may not shoot depending on your luck. Mine was built by Lane Precision Rifles of Pocatello, ID, but I'm sure there are plenty of other builders out there who can build a quality long range rifle at an affordable price.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:14 PM

BCMAG2 - compelling argument! Especially after I watched those videos on truing a Remington 700 action. Maybe part of my quest should be creating a short list of gunsmiths who can build a rifle and then compare a custom vs an off the shelf. To your point it makes more sense to spend $2000 up front than to dump $1000 into a gun that needs another $1000 to make it work.

The problem is that I am as uptight as an overwound timex...I want builder who is going to do everything right and take no shortcuts. Is there such a person out there in today's half-ass marketplace?
Old 08-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

IMO, BCMAG2 gave you good advice. If you can afford a good custom action, go that route. By the time you gat a 700 action trued up and upgraded with after market parts to come close to the quailty of a custom action you will have spent almost as much and still just have an upgraded 700 action. You can take the budget approach to giving the 700 a facelift but you get what you pay for.

Yes there are a number of excellent smiths out there who do it right. Make sure your understanding and communication is clear.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Silver Member

My build actually is off a Rem 700 ss action, with a 28" Bartlein barrel. Nothing wrong with the 700 action IMHO so long as the smith properly blue prints and trues it to the barrel. Mine shoots ragged one hole groups at 100 yards, and I recently shot a 1 foot group at a mile (1760 yds) just to see what it was like.

Right now you seem to be thinking that you'd never want to shoot over 1,000 yards. Erase that thought from your mind. As soon as you shoot that far, you'll think of nothing else but shooting further. Such is the nature of the beast. So I'd stay away from smaller calibers and go with a 300 RUM or 338 Edge...why not?

A good custom builder guarantees that his rifles shoot half a MOA or less at 100 yards, and sends the target to prove it. Most will actually shoot quite a bit better than that, with meticulously constructed hand loads of course.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:47 PM

Ohhhhh.... Just looked up 338 Edge on Ammoguide interactive (had never heard of it). Now that has some appeal! But apparently it likes long barrels? 30+ inches? That makes for a heavy gun.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member

I just did a build on a 700 and it's a fine rifle. I spent a lot of $$$$ on upgrades but it's still a 700 and not a custom action. If I had to do it again, I would get the custom action, as the only thing I have left of the original 700 action is the receiver. Just something to think about.

~ John Quincy Adams