Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Choosing a long range caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 07:02 PM

Re: Choosing a long range caliber

I recently purchased a 7MM mag from Shawn Carlock of Defensive Edge to shoot out to 1,500 yards. Anything beyond that I would consider the DE 338 Edge. Shawn builds a great rifle that will definitely reach out and touch 'em.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:38 PM

IMO there is a big difference between shooting paper at a 1000 yds and ethically taking big game if you want something that fits both look at the 6.5. If your hunting elk look at the .30 cal platform and up I like the ballistics on the 300wm up to 1000 but I think that is the limit. I would put the 6.5 at a limit of 700 yds on elk not saying you can't shoot farther it's just that ballisticly your margin of error is very small. The .30 performs better in hunting situations. I shot a .300um for years and have recently went to a .300 Dakota similar ballistics with a 180 gr bullet shooting 15 grains less powder. Downfall is these guns kick.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleeber View Post
Gents,
Time for a long range gun. I am a very capable hunter, marksman and reloader but have no experience at 1000+ yards. I just sold a TC 300 Win Mag, it is clearly not the platform for a long range gun. I have a 7mm Rem Mag that is awesome but it is a WWII Mauser action with a custom barrel from Adobe Gun Shop in Silver City NM (not there anymore I don't think) and I got it used. Shoots great, 1 hole at 100 and touching at 200 but I have no idea how much life is left in the barrel and this guns shoots so well as is I am not going to mess with it.

I have about decided on a Remington R5 or Sendero in 300 Win Mag as the base gun but now 7mm and 6.5-284 have creeped into the back of my head. The R5 and Sendero seem to be a good balance between price and out of the box accuracy to 1000+ yards.

Barrel life is a real concern for me. If you figure it usually takes 200-250 rounds to decide on the best powder, bullet and OAL your barrel is a quarter spent by the time you figure the optimal load; common wisdom also says that the belted mags tend to eat barrels. The 6.5 seems impressive on paper but I am concerned that the max bullet weight is a bit on the light side if I hunt with the gun (which I do hope to do but much of my shooting will be at paper or steel).

My goal is to get into a solid gun in a caliber that will allow really long shots. Ranges out to a mile or more have me very interested. Will a 6.5 barrel last that much longer than a 7 or 300? Will a nitride bath help with barrel life or is this the latest voodoo? Is the 6.5 neutered with the lighter bullets? Thoughts??? Oh...and a 50 cal is not in the cards; when I think about reloading for that beast I can see my powder and bullet costs getting out of hand quickly.

Thanks!
Always keep in mind that the bigger the hole, the more it costs.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:20 PM

Remember that a paper target doesn't care if the arriving bullet has 5 ft-lbs of remaining energy or 5000 ft-lbs, but it does make a difference to a game animal. The same is true for velocity. For game the bullet must arrive at the animal with sufficient energy and velocity to work as intended and result in a quick and merciful kill.

Steve Woodruff
Old 08-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

Mleeber I want to first off apologize for my previous post. I had bad day and kinda took it out on you and had no right to do so. With that being said as far as caliber goes one of my favorites for an easy to get factory chambering is a 7 REM mag you will get decent barrel life they have good bullet options and are generally easy to tune. For a learner gunthis would be what I would suggest. The 300win is good too. It was actually what I learned a lot off of. The 338s will have a better life. As someone posted earlier the more powder you try to push through a smaller hole the faster it will burn out. If it was me i suggest a 7rem but you can't go wrong with the 300win prolly last longer and has more bullet weight to it. Once again sorry for previous post
Old 08-19-2013, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleeber View Post

My goal is to get into a solid gun in a caliber that will allow really long shots. Ranges out to a mile or more have me very interested. Will a 6.5 barrel last that much longer than a 7 or 300? Will a nitride bath help with barrel life or is this the latest voodoo? Is the 6.5 neutered with the lighter bullets? Thoughts??? Oh...and a 50 cal is not in the cards; when I think about reloading for that beast I can see my powder and bullet costs getting out of hand quickly.

Thanks!
If your conditions are not great you'll really struggle with the 6.5 at a mile plus to even see hits and if you add wind you could end up hating life, it's fun for me to shoot them a mile plus but then I can also sling some 300gr Berger down range and get more forgiveness in the wind and get solid feed back which makes me happy, happy, happy!!

The 300 Win with a 215 Berger or even something like the 300 Norma mag with a 230 Berger would be a solid compromise to the big 338 but for serious fun and getting feed back you can learn from I would not go smaller for my primary ELR rifle. If your trying to hunt ELR go with something that will hump the 300 gr Bergers!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 08-20-2013, 12:13 AM

No need to apologize, I was not offended. Thanks though! This long range game is a whole new world and I appreciate all the feedback from everyone who has offered information and recommendations. To make things worse I just watched a 13 part series on u tube from a guy names Suarez and with all the "truing up" he had to do to a factory 700 I am now concerned that even the R5 or Sendero may need significant work. Got to pay to play I guess....