Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Buck and bull equal 2220 yards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Buck and bull equal 2220 yards.

Great post

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:18 PM
Bronze Member

Great job, thanks for sharing!
Old 12-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Gold Member

Merry Christmas everyone,I just veiwed the best gift ever. I never could have done this on my own.
I am truly blessed with an awesome daughter and family(retrievers).The learning of long range shooting has been a great experience for me, without you guys on this sight I never would have been able to learn the skills to make these kinds of shots. The only negative is it has nearly caused me to go broke! I started from scratch going from a bow hunter to long range, but boy am I glad I did-it has been a great adventure.

My son in law and friends had been bowhunting this area and getting into elk and thought it would be a great long range spot for me. Rifle season opens just 1 wk after bow closes so my wife and I made the 2 mile hike to check it out. The country looked beautiful and ideal with 5 big open slides to watch and shoot to. Ranges from 600 to 1300 yards. My wife said this is beautiful but how the heck are we going to get an elk out of there-we're getting to old for this. I told her to suck it up, it should only take her 8 or 9 trips! I wont tell you what she said.

My son in law and grand sons offered to be the mules so the hunt was on. I packed in gear the day before the season and glassed that evening and saw a 5 piont and spike-going to make it hard to sleep tonight.

Opening day started a little depressing as it was raining and there were more hunters around than I had hoped. After sitting and watching in the rain all day my son in law and grandson came up the trail. The bulls finally showed up that evening but the clouds settled in making a shot impossible.

We were back before daylight the next morning and an hour later the bull showed up. We ranged him and then there was some frantic pruning to open up a shooting lane.I finally got comfortable , dialed in and ready to shoot. I could actually see the bullet trace through my scope too and saw the bull drop and slide to a short stop and not even kick.I leaped up from that prone position and my son in law said he had no idea I could move that fast. Then he said I just saw that but I cant believe it(the shot and the leap).

.338 AX built by Kirby Allen
300 grn SMK
3020 fps
night force 5.5-22 x 56
swarovski range finder
kestrel wind guage
Kowa 880 spotting scope
jewel trigger
manners stock

And 800 rounds of practise

SEE WHY IM BROKE !!!
Old 12-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new shooter View Post
Merry Christmas everyone,I just veiwed the best gift ever. I never could have done this on my own.
I am truly blessed with an awesome daughter and family(retrievers).The learning of long range shooting has been a great experience for me, without you guys on this sight I never would have been able to learn the skills to make these kinds of shots. The only negative is it has nearly caused me to go broke! I started from scratch going from a bow hunter to long range, but boy am I glad I did-it has been a great adventure.

My son in law and friends had been bowhunting this area and getting into elk and thought it would be a great long range spot for me. Rifle season opens just 1 wk after bow closes so my wife and I made the 2 mile hike to check it out. The country looked beautiful and ideal with 5 big open slides to watch and shoot to. Ranges from 600 to 1300 yards. My wife said this is beautiful but how the heck are we going to get an elk out of there-we're getting to old for this. I told her to suck it up, it should only take her 8 or 9 trips! I wont tell you what she said.

My son in law and grand sons offered to be the mules so the hunt was on. I packed in gear the day before the season and glassed that evening and saw a 5 piont and spike-going to make it hard to sleep tonight.

Opening day started a little depressing as it was raining and there were more hunters around than I had hoped. After sitting and watching in the rain all day my son in law and grandson came up the trail. The bulls finally showed up that evening but the clouds settled in making a shot impossible.

We were back before daylight the next morning and an hour later the bull showed up. We ranged him and then there was some frantic pruning to open up a shooting lane.I finally got comfortable , dialed in and ready to shoot. I could actually see the bullet trace through my scope too and saw the bull drop and slide to a short stop and not even kick.I leaped up from that prone position and my son in law said he had no idea I could move that fast. Then he said I just saw that but I cant believe it(the shot and the leap).

.338 AX built by Kirby Allen
300 grn SMK
3020 fps
night force 5.5-22 x 56
swarovski range finder
kestrel wind guage
Kowa 880 spotting scope
jewel trigger
manners stock

And 800 rounds of practise

SEE WHY IM BROKE !!!
Sweeeeeeeeeet ! I have been Broke before with nothing to show for it . Good shooting
Old 12-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

Curious to know if the air was humid so you were be able to see the bullet vapour?
Old 12-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Gold Member

it had been raining since Friday night and all day Saturday and all night so it stoped Sunday morning heavily cloud cover.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Silver Member

tell grandpa nice shooting, and that is some beautiful country