Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Buck and bull equal 2220 yards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Gold Member

Buck and bull equal 2220 yards.

My husband (Mike) and I are writing this short story for my Dad for Christmas-He loves this site and the stories but technology has crept ahead of him. He has dreamed and practiced for the 1k plus shot and it has paid off.

My Dad's (Joe's) first long range kill over 1000 yards. This was a classic canyon hunt, get all your gear in, be patient and watch some great looking elk country. The second morning of the season, patience paid off and a young bull fed into a avalanche shoot 1055 yards across from us. It was a great morning with no wind and after confirming the range two more times Mike moved the tripod directly behind him to spot the shot. It is amazing watching shots at this distance, the brain can't quite keep up with what the eye is seeing. I could clearly see the vapor trail arc high above my line of sight and over the bull then start dropping back to the elk. My mind thought "too high" but my eye saw the bull drop with a spine shot. One of the coolest shots I have ever seen.

A few weeks later with his grandson present again he filled his buck tag with a 1165 yard shot. He is lucky in more ways than one with his three grandsons and son-in-law playing retriever and packing out all the meat. The only negative was no pictures with the elk or deer but his grandson was happy to pose. Pictures are attached: slide the bull was in with gun, big smile with grandson after shot, grandson with elk-elk was shot from the clear cut on the far hill side, grandson with buck.

I will let him fill you in on the rest of the technical info!

Merry Christmas Dad!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Buck and bull equal 2220 yards.-dad1.jpg   Buck and bull equal 2220 yards.-dad3.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 12-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Gold Member

Re: Buck and bull equal 2220 yards.

Trying the pics again
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Buck and bull equal 2220 yards.-dad6.jpg   Buck and bull equal 2220 yards.-dad2.jpg  

Old 12-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Very very nice post!!!!
Old 12-23-2012, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member

Good shootin', Joe!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 12-24-2012, 12:41 AM
Bronze Member

Very nice post, congrats Joe on your bull and buck. Your a blessed man to have the family you have. Thanks for sharing your season with us, new shooter.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member

Very cool!! I dig it when a plan comes together.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 12-24-2012, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member

Very nice Job . Who built Your Long Range Rifle ? And what Caliber ?
Thanks