Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Bragging on Kirby Allen, and my new AX

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Silver Member

Re: Bragging on Kirby Allen, and my new AX

Go with the 8-32-56 have one on my 338AM and love it.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarheadhunter View Post
What does that thing weigh?
I gasped after my dad put it on their digital scale. I have the CZ 20 MOA rail on there and Barrett 15/40 MOA .50 Cal rings that I was planning on using (so currently I have 35 MOA of downward cant), and for the time being I have a Vari-X III 4.5-14x50 in Delron rings just to look through. I decided not to waste barrel life until I had the Nightforce on there.......anyway, with it in the dragbag, it was 30 POUNDS!!! HOLY COW!!! I was debating between a Heavy Palma and the AMU/MTU countour.......kinda wish I would have went with the Palma now, but this thing looks like it will easily shoot canyon to canyon. If I go to a State with a 16.5 lb rule, I may have to have a 300 Ultra Sendero to actually hunt with, LOL!!! Good excuse to purchase one! ;^)
Old 05-30-2013, 10:19 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booney View Post
Go with the 8-32-56 have one on my 338AM and love it.
I was leaning that direction actually.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:36 PM
Silver Member

The 8-32x56 NXS is a great scope, I had one on a 338 EDGE Kirby built. I decided to go with the 5-25x56 ATACR for the 338 AM I should have arriving any day now. The larger tube and greater elevation range is what sold me on this scope after shooting Schmidts on my smaller rifle, coupled with NF now making 34mm ultralite rings. I have the ATACR sitting here waiting for the rifle, but I have mounted it on my 260 and the clarity and light gathering is awesome. Either way, you can't go wrong with the NF scopes, but you will have a slight disadvantage with the 8-32 when it comes to stretching that bad boy out, those extra 55 MOA are nice in the elevation and you will see a difference in light gathering and glass quality.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:34 AM
Gold Member

What ever scope you go with you have to buy from gunwerks, they will not build you turrets unless you buy their scope,(G7) the reason I know this I just ask Mike about building turrets for both of my 5.5x22x56's 2 weeks ago. His response was we are not building turrets for a nightforce unless it's branded G7, and just buy our range finder. I guess there good enough to use nightforce scopes and call them theirs by sticking a G7 label on it, but there to full of themselves to build a turret for a lowly nightforce.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Silver Member

They are not the only ones that make custom turrets either. But I recommend using regular MOA turrets as range condition and shooting environments change.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
What ever scope you go with you have to buy from gunwerks, they will not build you turrets unless you buy their scope,(G7) the reason I know this I just ask Mike about building turrets for both of my 5.5x22x56's 2 weeks ago. His response was we are not building turrets for a nightforce unless it's branded G7, and just buy our range finder. I guess there good enough to use nightforce scopes and call them theirs by sticking a G7 label on it, but there to full of themselves to build a turret for a lowly nightforce.

That's insane, they're losing business and money.... But I guess the ego is priceless.