Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Bragging on Kirby Allen, and my new AX

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 05:14 PM
Silver Member

Re: Bragging on Kirby Allen, and my new AX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarheadhunter View Post
Very nice looking forward to hear how she performs for you. I thank you for your kind words also.
My kind words come straight from the heart.......I pray for ALL of y'all in harm's way, and am thankful when I hear of a Service person coming home!

I can't wait to update everyone........I am getting over a back fusion with Titanium rods and all, and then I will have to buy a Nightforce; the best scope I have at the moment is a 6.5-20x50 Vari-X III with the old 1" tube. Believe me, I did not have Kirby build that rifle to put a lesser scope on it! :^) Still a Leupold fan, and own several, all 1" tubes, but a Nightforce with a Gunwerks turret is the way that I am headed---just haven't decided on the magnification of Nightforce I want---I am leaning toward the 8-32x56 but am open to any model as long as I am back working and can wallet the scope.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

Nice looking setup. I really like my Nightforce scope.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoElk2Hunt View Post
Nice looking setup. I really like my Nightforce scope.
Still having a hard time deciding WHICH Nightforce.

I am preferring the M.O.A.R. or NP-R1 reticles, but am unsure if I want a 5.5-22x56 or a 8-32x56. The rifle will primarily used for long range deer and targets, perhaps with a second Elk hunt in the future.

ANY OPINIONS are APPRECIATED.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Nice looking setup.
Oh yeah, thanks for the compliment. I kinda came up with the idea, gathered the parts, and Kirby did all the "Magic." ;^)
Old 05-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindcrime View Post
Still having a hard time deciding WHICH Nightforce.

I am preferring the M.O.A.R. or NP-R1 reticles, but am unsure if I want a 5.5-22x56 or a 8-32x56. The rifle will primarily used for long range deer and targets, perhaps with a second Elk hunt in the future.

ANY OPINIONS are APPRECIATED.
Also, I am wanting a Gunwerks BDC turret after seeing how effective they work. Does anyone have any experience with their turrets while we are on the topic???

As for the discussion, I prefer to think in MOAs instead of MILs. Just seems easier to my brain in MOAs. Not saying that I am correct, mind you.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

I have used Greybull Precision Leupold Scopes with Turrets and they work good. If you se a G7 Ballistic Range finder it will give you the MOA based on distance. I really like the G7 and it s more precise than turrets I think. My opinion only.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I have used Greybull Precision Leupold Scopes with Turrets and they work good. If you se a G7 Ballistic Range finder it will give you the MOA based on distance. I really like the G7 and it s more precise than turrets I think. My opinion only.
Ironically, I had already been looking at the G7 Rangefinder. IT WILL be the purchase right after I find the correct Nightforce scope.

I do not intend on going back to Montrose, CO for my dream 6 pt. Elk "unequipped" again. My first trip, showed me where my weaknesses were; shooting well was not one of them as I shot competition from the tender age of 8, but I did not have a range finder, and even though I had a ballistics chart, "guessing" a range that is unknown in that kind of terrain can result in many feet in the missed shot, as I found out when I launched a few at a 5 pt.

When you drop $2500 on a hunt, it is regrettable that one doesn't know what you HAVE to have, to make the hunt successful; regardless of the range.

THANKS SO MUCH for your feedback on the G7 rangefinder!!!