Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

7mm WSM ELR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 06:37 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm WSM ELR?

Nice rifle and set up!
Old 06-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
1,900 yards (1,753 meters) and they were still supersonic. My desert location sits at 2,900 ft. alt.
Hot & High might help. I went out and shot yesterday, weather was drizzle, overcast and 16 C. 1000mb even.
Almost no wind when i took a few test shots @ 970m, at a 40x40cm gong - the first shot just barely missed the top left corner, and i sent the second without correction - it hit virtually the same spot. I clicked two down and 2 less left ( i havent figured the velocity variation wth temperature 100% with this load, almost all shooting been around 0 C)
They printed slightly left of center, and perfect for elevation - nice, i thought. One on white, and one on yellow - Target before shooting. Note ecologic and environmentally friendly, recyclable target construction

By the time i had worked my way to the firing point for the longer range, holes in the clouds had appeared, and the air was shimmering with mirage.
The first shot at 1538m was uplifting, about 2-3 down and left - i held right and shot again. Side was good, but about a meter high... 3. i never saw - 3sec of FT takes time getting used to.. , and the 4th, was good for elevation, but probably 1.5mrad right - and then i noticed the breeze that had come up the hill...
I decided to wait alittle, but mirage kept the target a blur, not moving around ,and no sign of sideways, just like looking through oil, so i decided to return later.

Shooting pos. 1538m. The place i a very pleasant rolling hills area, with norway pine, and birch, heather, and blueberry - on sunny days, it gets hot, fast.

Typically, this fellow can be found if you look

Firing solution

K
Old 06-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

Nice pictures!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Gold Member

Nice rifle and good shooting!

I was thinking about the 7mmWSM for my next build...this has helped me make up my mind to go for it
Old 06-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Silver Member

Which shooting program is that? Can you input baro. pressure / elev. in another window?
Old 06-05-2013, 01:56 AM
Bronze Member

The program is "Shooter", a nice program i think. It is alittle overkill for shorter shots, where met/env does not play such a role, but for longer shots, it is brilliant - accounting for a couple of effects most programs do not.
It is for example spot on for very steep shots, like 800m at 58degrees incline, and such. It does not, however find a suitable shooting pos. for that, nor does it predict wind...

The picture is the output page, data is entered on an input page - if you choose it, it corrects Vo for temp, corrects for spin, and for coriolis acceleration. If you are in 3G range, it can collect met-data by itself, using the phone GPS it will then enter all the data for you, and it can collect the same data from a Kestrel unit. To me, all this "auto-****" needs to be verified anyway, and i am rarely in range of 3G network as i shoot, nor have i any use for a Kestrel windmeter standing in thick forest, shooting over a valley with 10 times the wind.

I tend to use BulletFlight for less "artillery"-like shooting because it is less poking with the pone, and less old (and wrong) input that can be forgotten in there.

My 6.5x55 simply has a tape around the turret, with meters on it.

K
Old 06-05-2013, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member

M-67, what loads are you using?