Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Is The 5.5~22 Nightforce my only choice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Is The 5.5~22 Nightforce my only choice?

I have looked through the Razor, I felt it was a nice scope and I love the fact it has the added MOA of elevation. But all that was drown out quickly by the fact it was a FFP. No interest in a FFP for this guy at all.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 11-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot E View Post
Just curious, have you looked through the Razor. It is noticeably better glass than anything else Vortex has including the PST's. Just wondering. I would say the Razor is on par or a touch better than NF but not enough to say for sure as individual scopes and eyes will likely make the difference.

Regardless of that the Razor is FFP and Jeff wants SFP.

Scot E.
Scot,
No, you're quite right. We haven't tested a Razor. I typed that reply late last night and I should have read what supercrossbmx69 said properly!
The other Vortex models we've tested have looked good in good light, but their low light performance, especially glare into a low angle sun really let them down. We notice this a lot in "relatively new manufacturer" scopes. Its as if stray light issues take a lot of experience to overcome or something. We just finished testing the Eliminator III which I though stacked up really good until the low angle sun test - whiteout!
Anyway, I'll chase our Vortex agent now to get a Razor to test asap!
The only FFP scope I'd have is one like the March with the tapered reticle that doesn't get any fatter as you zoom in. Very clever idea.
Greg
Old 11-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ Longranger View Post
Scot,
No, you're quite right. We haven't tested a Razor. I typed that reply late last night and I should have read what supercrossbmx69 said properly!
The other Vortex models we've tested have looked good in good light, but their low light performance, especially glare into a low angle sun really let them down. We notice this a lot in "relatively new manufacturer" scopes. Its as if stray light issues take a lot of experience to overcome or something. We just finished testing the Eliminator III which I though stacked up really good until the low angle sun test - whiteout!
Anyway, I'll chase our Vortex agent now to get a Razor to test asap!
The only FFP scope I'd have is one like the March with the tapered reticle that doesn't get any fatter as you zoom in. Very clever idea.
Greg
Please post how it rates for you. I think you will be impressed overall and especially with the difference in glass. I always enjoy reading info from gents that have the opportunity to compare many scopes.

Scot E.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:55 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
I know the nightforce is hard to beat. If it works good for you, why change? Plus, you're supporting a company here in the U.S.
NF is made in Japan. I have 3 of them. .............SEMPER FI!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:02 PM
Gold Member

Bros I went down this same rabbit hole you did recently Plain fact is to get want you want without going with the NXS you'd have to do US Optics. But that is well beyond your and my price range. Until they come up with a NP type reticle on the ATACR or I can afford Us Optics I am "stuck" with the NSX.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 02-25-2013, 08:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargesniper View Post
NF is made in Japan. I have 3 of them. .............SEMPER FI!
It was my understanding that the glass was from Japan but the scopes were built here in the US

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 02-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Gold Member

Thats right in Idaho.